Recaro ProSport short harness

athuyghe

My DD is in a Recaro Pro Sport. She just turned 4. At her last doc appt (about a month ago) she weighed 39.2lbs and was 41.5 inches. I noticed in the fall that when we are putting her in the seat, she has to contort her arms to get them under/into the harness. I took out the additional (bottom) seat padding to see if that helps, but it doesn't and my DD noticed the difference in cushioning. :) I don't see any other adjustments I can make to the seat to correct this issue. She is far from reaching the height/weight limits of the seat. What's up? Is this something that happens with all car seats as the kids get bigger? Anyone else experience this?

ADS

Brianna

If you're leaving the harness at the proper tightness, it's normal to contort to get arms under. If you're loosening it for her to get in she shouldn't have to contort as much. Is the headrest/strap height adjusted correctly for her height? Does Recaro permit removal of the seat pad? If not I would put it back in.

thepote

The older ProSports had shorter harnesses and at some point they started making them longer. What is the manufacture date on the seat?

smileyblue4

I also have a 4 year old in a Pro Sport, he is slightly smaller than your daughter. One other thing you can check is to see if your harness is on the last/biggest loops where it attaches to the splitter plate. If you've never adjusted it, I think it comes out of the box on the smallest setting. That should give your dd some more wiggle room when getting buckled in. The seat pad is optional if I remember correctly from the manual.

athuyghe

OK...finally got around to looking into to find the answers to all the questions and suggestions. Here are the results:
I am loosening the harness when I take her out. I pull it out as far as it can go. There are a few inches of "tail". The only way to get the "tail" shorter is to pull only on one side, but then there is the risk of the harness coming detached from the yoke. It only tightens/loosens maybe an inch. It's very difficult. The headrest/harness straps are adjusted properly and I have checked thoroughly to make sure there are no twists or anything that may be causing it to feel shorter. Removal of the seat pad is allowed. It's an extra cushion for comfort. The seat has a manufacture date of 01/05/2011. I did a little research and noticed a difference in the manual for mine and another one I'm assuming is more recent since it has the safety stripe system and mine does not. There are three yoke positions for the harness in that manual. So...I will be contacting Recaro to see if I can obtain a new harness. Keeping my fingers crossed...
Thanks for all your input and suggestions! :)

athuyghe

UPDATE
A longer replacement harness is available. It is $20. Don't like that I have to pay for it, but I guess it's better than having to buy a new seat! It is the new style with the stripe on it. I also inquired about getting a new cover and insert to have the memory foam that comes with the Performance line. The performance "replacements" can be used on the Pro line. It is $75 to get a new cover with bottom insert (this would also include the new style harness cover that "connects" to the cover by being underneath it). But it does not include the memory foam. It is just the cloth that covers the foam. Then, to get the memory foam to put under the cover instead of the regular foam, it is $13 for the bottom part and $13 for the back part. Now I have to decide if it's worth the $120 to upgrade everything...;)

athuyghe

NEW UPDATE
Finally received and installed new harness. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Was worried that it wouldn't add that much length, but it did. Thank you to everyone who helped. This forum saved me from needing to buy a new car seat! :2thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC