Rebound Control

smackeen

Can someone help me explain how the extra rebound control on the compliant 2012 seats work to help?

I have it in my head, but just cannot get it down on paper. :(

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm not quite sure what you're meaning - but the structure of the seat (often with bolsters the are larger and angled towards the seat back a bit) stop the seat from rebounding past the threshold amount. Some seats do this with an anti-rebound bar but accomplish the same thing. Some seats, like the Scenera, didn't require any modifications to pass the new standard. Infant seats are using the handle in the up position to pass, or anti-rebound. Baby Trend doesn't use that so it must be fine without.

smackeen

Pretty much what I was looking for. Someone asked how the rebound bar worked on the true fit and I tried to explain how all new seats have some sort of rebound control (infant=handle, true fit=bar and other seats boulsters).

This is all I could think to write...lol It does not prevent rebound, but it helps with the rebound force on the seat.

Pixelated

It prevents rebound past a certain point. Imagine a line drawn vertically from a point somewhere near the seat bight (on a test bench). I don't recall what's being measured - a point on the dummy's head? - but whatever that standardized point is, it can't cross the imaginary vertical line. Different seats achieve that in different ways. I can find the more exact specs later if you'd like.

FrauDrA

Just curious: doesn't RF tethering offer rebound control (isn't that the purpose of RF tethering?)? Why isn't it allowed on more seats? Seems that would've been an easy way to be compliant - or am I just not understanding?

tiggercat

FrauDrA said:
Just curious: doesn't RF tethering offer rebound control (isn't that the purpose of RF tethering?)? Why isn't it allowed on more seats? Seems that would've been an easy way to be compliant - or am I just not understanding?

I believe the RF tether cannot be mandatory, seats have to pass without it. Firstly because the test bench doesn't have a floor, so it is not used in compliance testing. Second because many manufacturers of vehicles prohibit RF tethering with wording in their manuals about not pulling or pushing on seat backs or tracks due to advanced airbags. Third, in some vehicles you cannot find a suitable RF tether point. Finally, it may be undesirable to tether for some age groups (newborns a d young infants) because of concerns over neck loads.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

amyd

FrauDrA said:

Yes, it does. But there's no way to test it because the sled doesn't have a floor. Plus North American vehicles don't have designated RFing tethering anchors.

smackeen

It prevents rebound past a certain point. Imagine a line drawn vertically from a point somewhere near the seat bight (on a test bench). I don't recall what's being measured - a point on the dummy's head? - but whatever that standardized point is, it can't cross the imaginary vertical line. Different seats achieve that in different ways. I can find the more exact specs later if you'd like.

Thanks!

If you could, that would be great!

Pixelated

I think this is the 'gibberish' referring to the anti-rebound standard :D So...for all of those seats that underwent structural changes in order to pass, this is what they're passing, either with bolsters, anti-rebound bars, or something else.

(a) retain the torso of the anthropomorphic test device within the restraint system, and not allow any portion of the target points on either side of the device’s head, located on the transverse axis passing through the centre of mass of the de- vice’ s head and perpendicular to the head’ s mid- sagittal plane, to pass at any time, during or immediately after the test, either through the transverse orthogonal planes formed by the ex- tension of the seat back frontal surface plane of the restraint system and by the plane that passes through the uppermost point of the restraint sys- tem, as shown in Figure 7 of Schedule 7, or through the vertical transverse plane passing through point X on the standard seat assembly, as shown in Figure 8 of Schedule 7;

The above quote, and the attached schematic are from here: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2010-90/20100429/P1TT3xt3.html

Attachments

• RSSR AntiRebound.jpg
    RSSR AntiRebound.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC