Rear-facing Diono in a vehicle bucket seat

U

Unregistered

Need help rear-facing diono in a vehicle bucket seat. -I would like it to be recline at least an inch more but unsure of how to do that because we have it installed per the diono installation videos.

(this is for a newborn, who fits perfectly in the straps.

ADS

jjordan

Diono allows you to adjust the recline angle by tightening the top tether. (Most rear facing seats do not allow use of the top tether at all, but Diono is one of the few that does allow for RF tethering. Post back if you need help figuring out how to do that.)

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Diono allows you to adjust the recline angle by tightening the top tether. (Most rear facing seats do not allow use of the top tether at all, but Diono is one of the few that does allow for RF tethering. Post back if you need help figuring out how to do that.)

Do they? I thought I had read recently that they did not allow that. Even if they DID allow it, I'm not keen on rear facing tethering a newborn. Hopefully someone who knows definitively will come along and confirm.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Okay so after googling some more, I found this website, with a MPV on it.

Can someone double check and see that this is a good anchor site?

I thought I could only anchor it to the piece that is buckled down into the car that the actual CAR seat slides on.

http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/isakswings/ratetherrf.html

This website hasn't been updated in over 10 years and shouldn't be used as a resource. Use this one instead: http://carseatblog.com/12749/how-to-use-a-rear-facing-tether/ . Can I ask why you want more recline for the carseat? Generally the Radian has a very good recline, especially for newborns.

Is your newborn's chin touching his/her chest? It's OK if the head lolls off to the side, but the chin should never come down to the chest when sleeping.

I wouldn't tether a newborn either--wait until baby's older. If there is a crash, forces can be transferred to the neck because the seat will move down then suddenly stop on it's way back to rebound--basically whiplash you don't want a newborn to experience.

jjordan

Do they? I thought I had read recently that they did not allow that. Even if they DID allow it, I'm not keen on rear facing tethering a newborn. Hopefully someone who knows definitively will come along and confirm.

AFAIK they do, though if there is new information out then I might have missed it. And good point about RF tethering for a newborn... I would not be anxious to do that either, but since Diono doesn't allow pool noodles, it's the only option I know of for altering the recline angle.

In some cars the Radian can be quite upright - in my previous vehicle it naturally installed at about 30*. If that is the case, then I probably would not use it until the child was several months old and could either handle the angle or I was ready to RF tether.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I got some confirmation today from Diono - not allowed to use the RF tether to increase the recline by cranking the tether tighter to pull it down. They used to allow it but no longer do.

I've written back to see if it was allowed on SKJP seats but now not on Diono, to see if it's to do with having the tether too tight, or because it might result in a seat being over-reclined. If they provide clearer answers I'll report back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC