Rate of injury comparison across countries?

clarinetb

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew if there was data available that showed differences in rates of injuries in children across different countries and how that correlates with laws/standard practice in terms of car seat usage. I know it is very hard to compare due to differences in types of driving, more or less highways, etc, but it would be interesting if there was.

It came up because I commented about the low limits for turning babies FF in Australia and a response I got was, well, do more children actually get hurt or killed? I know it is often quoted that very few children die in car accidents in Sweden and that is attributed to ERFing.

Anyways, it would be interesting to see some numbers and I think it would be a great talking point for people to see that there are variations in these numbers (I presume there would be varying from FF at around six months to 12 months to 4 years....)

Thanks!

ADS

catchthewind

I would be curious if there are actual numbers somewhere too. I read an article once by Volvo that stated that in a certain time period (can't remember exactly but it was more than a year), there were only 4 deaths of children under 5 in Sweden, compared to 60-70 per year in Canada (which only has three times the population so that's a huge difference). Not sure what the rate is in the US. I can't find that article, but I found this one, which states 9 deaths in rear-facing car seats in a 4 year period: http://www.carseat.se/rearfacing/rear-facing-basics/

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
I would be interested even in recent fatality statistics for children killed as occupants in motor vehicle crashes, on a per million vehicle miles travelled basis.

As a side note, I've posted in other threads the numbers of fatalities to children in the USA by 1 year age groups. The numbers actually drop after 12 months, presumably due to many other factors than RF vs. FF. There are just so many variables it is impossible to isolate one or two from fatality statistics overall.

clarinetb

I would be interested even in recent fatality statistics for children killed as occupants in motor vehicle crashes, on a per million vehicle miles travelled basis.

As a side note, I've posted in other threads the numbers of fatalities to children in the USA by 1 year age groups. The numbers actually drop after 12 months, presumably due to many other factors than RF vs. FF. There are just so many variables it is impossible to isolate one or two from fatality statistics overall.

Yes, definitely complicated stats to look at! They'd need to be across the same age groups and then you'd likely need to just make the assumption that the common practice in that country is across most of the children for that age group...

Just unfortunate there isn't a set of numbers, especially for those less than convinced since the differences in countries would be a way to show that it really does make a difference.

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC