Random question...but need advice!

EALOVE

DH pulled our other True Fit down from the attic last night. I just took it out of the box and when I looked in it there is a good but of rodent-like poop in it! Blehck!! :crying:

Can I got wash a TF cover? Could I add a bit of bleach?

ADS

MamaErin

I'm not positive on the washing instructions but I don't think I would add bleach to a carseat cover. Most of them are machine washable but I'm not really sure how to go about that...you either need the bleach or super hot water to kill the germs and I think the hot water might shrink the cover.....maybe wash it normally, spray it with lysol and then air dry it?

ETA: I would definitely make sure you disinfect the straps and the shell somehow too! And check everything over to make sure nothing chewed through the harness or anything.

Last edited:

EALOVE

Ok, that's what I was afraid of. I just want to drench it in Lysol. I'm so disgusted I just want to buy a whole new seat instead!

jacqui276

I definitely would not use bleach but it should be fine to machine wash (not sure on hot water though). You could buy a new cover?

jjordan

Be very careful how you wash/disinfect the straps. Check your manual or call the company to see what they recommend. Harsh cleaners have the potential to weaken the straps (and you wouldn't necessarily know until they failed in a crash! scary!). If you have already washed them, or if you want to start with a clean slate, you can probably buy a replacement harness from the manufacturer.

jjordan

They do have natural like plant based antibacterial wipes, are those too harsh for straps? That is what I use on all my son's stuff because I don't like too harsh of things around him unless necessary.

ETA: Also, I have sprayed my son's whole seat with lysol before when my niece was sitting in it and I found out later she had the flu! I just sprayed the cover/seat everything with a quick mist of lysol spray and let it dry so he wouldn't get sick...is that bad to do?

Your best bet is to call the seat manufacturer and see what they say. I would be concerned about the lysol on the straps, personally. But I'm not a car seat engineer! :)

EALOVE

Well, darn. I guess I could order a new harness set? I just don't know what was on or around them. I have a spare Aurora cover set.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC