Question Radian XT Questions

Mommy090804

Wow! It's been a while since I've been on, but I have enjoyed browsing the forum to see what's new in Canadian seats. Kids are growing and our carseat configurations have changed quite a bit in the past six months.

The sad news - our 33lb Marathon just expired. I wasn't completely heartbroken since DS weighed in at 33lbs right around that time. I do miss it due to its quick install, and excellent puzzling with the Radians. We do have another Marathon that DS is FFing in now.

Now to my questions. DS is now officially FFing all the time. He is consistently 34.5-35 lbs. It is much easier to install the Radian FFing than RFing!! He is right at the second slots from the top. I know I'll have to move him up to the top slots soon. I may do so sooner because I don't want him to be over the slots, and not notice. Also, sometimes DD uses his seat, and she definitely needs the top slots.

What do I do with the headrest? The manual states that it needs to be at the level of the shoulders, but obviously it will push the straps down. Is it okay if the headrest pushes the straps down? I know this question has been asked before, but I can't find the specific threads.

The other question is regarding the SafeStop. I have installed the SafeStop since DS is under 40lbs. I remember reading on these forums that it is okay to use it up to 48lbs. Is this still the case? The reason I ask is that occasionally a child over 40lbs (DD or child of similar size) sits in the seat. Is this a big no-no?

And finally, just to confirm. I need to remove the SafeStop when installing the Radian for DS FFing on the airplane (no tether). Is that correct?

Thanks so much! I sure have missed everyone:)

ADS

MomToEliEm

Glad to have you back on the boards. There sure have been a lot of changes over the past 6 months. Lots of new and updated carseats in both the US and Canada.

Hopefully some of the radian users on the board will see your radian questions and provide some answers. I don't have a lot of radian experience (my sister has 2, but she doesn't let me play with them very often).

MarathonMama

I thought only US Marathons ever RF to 33lbs.

Safe Stop is for under 40lbs, FF only. If you have a child heavier than that then it needs to be removed when that child is using it. You'd be best to keep using it for the other children and reinstall on the rare occasion you have the heavier child.

Make sure the headrest is above the harness ... even if it seems really high for some kids (esp if they just moved to the next slot - the 4th slot seems to produce this result).

Not sure about the airplane stuff.

MarathonMama

I am pretty sure that there were MAs in Canada that rf'd to 33lbs but around at some point the limit was put down to 30lbs rfing. So likely some older ones are still around or expiring.

Good to know! I've never heard of them being 33lbs. Anyone know why they went back to 30lbs?

amyd

On the plane, you are correct, no Safestop since there's no tether. I think others have answered all your other questions.

Mommy090804

Thanks so much everyone. After posting the message, I did go and search again for the RadianXT headwing info. I searched all the way back to January 2010. I found a limited amount of information, mostly relating to the slipping headwing problems. Russ has been quoted as saying that it is okay that the headwings slip down and partially cover the harness straps. This would not create a safety concern. However, is it correct that the headwings are not to cover the straps at all?

Yes, in DS's case, the headwings would be quite high in comparison to the shoulders and head. The Radian XT manual is not clear in this regard at all. We have not had a problem with slipping headwings with this particular RadianXT, and in fact, they are quite difficult to move.

On the plane, you are correct, no Safestop since there's no tether. I think others have answered all your other questions.

Thank you for clarifying the airplane usage in regards to the SafeStop. I did save a previous post by "Unityco" from 2008 with Radian airplane installation tricks. We haven't run into the situation before since we obviously did not have the SafeStop installed when DS was RFing. As well, DD did not use the Radian on the plane when she was under 40lbs. Thanks, Unityco, since I still have the info saved, and have a printout for flying (with my FAA info printout).

I am pretty sure that there were MAs in Canada that rf'd to 33lbs but around at some point the limit was put down to 30lbs rfing. So likely some older ones are still around or expiring.

Yes, DD's Marathon was manufactured August 2004. It was early 2005 that the manufacturers (Dorel and Britax for sure) reduced the RFing limit from 35 and 33lbs, respectively. I am not sure if we know exactly why, though I know Trudi is a wealth of info in this regard.

I do have a further question regarding the SafeStop. Should I make sure that DS is not more than 40lbs when using it? Is it necessary to be as viligant as when I turned him FFing (vs. reaching the RFing weight limit)?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC