Radian R120 vs Marathon

U

Unregistered

I had posted awhile back but didn't recieve a response. We are looking for a seat for DS. He is 25.5 lbs and 34" (19" seated). The seat needs to fit in our Dodge Grand Caravan next to a Parkway SG, although we can manuever seats around if needed. This is the only vehicle we use the seat in, it doesn't have to be moved from car to car, so size/weight isn't an issue.

I liked the 10 year life span of the Radian, but they seem "wider" and less "body wrapping" than the Marathon. If that makes any sense. It just seems like the Marathon sides come up more around babe...but maybe this really isn't an issue. I have small kiddos and I don't want them swimming in their seats. I have only ever seen the Radian online, so it is hard to compare.

I know that Britax used to lead the industry in safety, or at least that is how I understood it...so how does the Radian measure up? DS is our last baby, so we'd like to get the most use out of our seat, but safety is priority.

ADS
V

VanIsleMommy

It's been a while since I took my son to try out car seats, but I remember the britax seats being narrower than most seats. I think the advocate was the narrowest, I don't recall how narrow the marathon was but I don't think it was too bad. I had gone in fully intending on buying the advocate, but my son hated it because he felt too squished (his words).

As for the seat wrapping around the child being safer or not, I don't think there is any safety data for that. I think the only time that might be a factor is side impact collisions, and there are no testing standards for side impact yet. So I guess it would be a judgement call. I know radian (diono) has a video on their website of their car seat in a side impact (installed outboard) and the width of the seat seems to be quite adequate.

I did end up with the radian since it has a taller shell height, and for me it came down to which seat would allow my child to be rear facing longer. Since he has a long torso he would have outgrown the britax before the radian.

mam521

I had posted awhile back but didn't recieve a response. We are looking for a seat for DS. He is 25.5 lbs and 34" (19" seated). The seat needs to fit in our Dodge Grand Caravan next to a Parkway SG, although we can manuever seats around if needed. This is the only vehicle we use the seat in, it doesn't have to be moved from car to car, so size/weight isn't an issue.

I liked the 10 year life span of the Radian, but they seem "wider" and less "body wrapping" than the Marathon. If that makes any sense. It just seems like the Marathon sides come up more around babe...but maybe this really isn't an issue. I have small kiddos and I don't want them swimming in their seats. I have only ever seen the Radian online, so it is hard to compare.

I know that Britax used to lead the industry in safety, or at least that is how I understood it...so how does the Radian measure up? DS is our last baby, so we'd like to get the most use out of our seat, but safety is priority.

Hi! :)

I need to clarify something first of all. In Canada, all seats must pass the same safety standards. Its a pass/fail system so no seat can be deemed "safER" than another. Britax has traditionally had excellent marketing and they do have seats that offer a ton of luxury adders like premium LATCH and fun covers. However, that has nothing to do with the safety of the seat.

Radian is one of the narrowest seats on the market, the self proclaimed "three across" solution. Its a solid seat with a nice tall shell. It has the low profile sides for ease of use - its easy to plunk a rugrat in without having to lift over. Its also convenient to some for ERF because there isn't an obstacle for kids to flop their knees over...they can sit cross legged easily. I have a classic boulevard and a new Diono Radian and I LOVE the Radian for the leg room it offers - my DS was FAR more cramped in the BV and is quite pleased in his Radian. I also use and Angle Adjuster to put him more upright and afford the passenger in the front more room. The combination is quite nice now.

Are you only looking at those two brands? I'm assuming your DS is still rear facing. We've seen the reemergence of My Ride and True Fit as well as the Complete Air. MR and CA RF to 40lbs, TF to 35. CA and TF have no rethread harnesses. I'd look at these as well. I know its easy to default back to Britax, but we really do have some other great seats out there :thumbsup:

U

Unregistered

Hi! :)

I need to clarify something first of all. In Canada, all seats must pass the same safety standards. Its a pass/fail system so no seat can be deemed "safER" than another. Britax has traditionally had excellent marketing and they do have seats that offer a ton of luxury adders like premium LATCH and fun covers. However, that has nothing to do with the safety of the seat.

I guess it depends on how you view it? I do realize that Canada has safety standards for all seats, however, it is my understanding that these standards aren't necessarily the same as what the manufacturer will actually test for. For example - side impact. It isn't required to test for this, but a company that DOES will impress me greater then one that doesn't. Another example - anti-submarining clip on boosters. These makes sense to me. No, they aren't required, but it seems like Britax going the extra mile. Also, recall policies. Different companies, different policies. A company that is reluctant to recall a seat does not earn my confidance. I also find the frame and fit to be a factor. Sure, the seat passed the safety standards, but if it doesn't fit my tiny kiddo well, then it's not as safe as another seat. I am most certainly not after a "cute" cover.

mam521

I guess it depends on how you view it? I do realize that Canada has safety standards for all seats, however, it is my understanding that these standards aren't necessarily the same as what the manufacturer will actually test for. For example - side impact. It isn't required to test for this, but a company that DOES will impress me greater then one that doesn't. Another example - anti-submarining clip on boosters. These makes sense to me. No, they aren't required, but it seems like Britax going the extra mile. Also, recall policies. Different companies, different policies. A company that is reluctant to recall a seat does not earn my confidance. I also find the frame and fit to be a factor. Sure, the seat passed the safety standards, but if it doesn't fit my tiny kiddo well, then it's not as safe as another seat. I am most certainly not after a "cute" cover.

For a company to receive the National Safety Mark, the maple leaf sticker that goes on the seat, they have to meet the stringent testing that Transport Canada has put into play. If they do not meet it, the seat cannot be legally sold in Canada. The testing is very specific and very good. It also provides a baseline that all seats must meet. Its a way for apples to be compared to apples.

Yes, companies may say they side impact test, but there is no standard that they test to...literally they can throw something at the side of the seat, see the shell doesn't crack and call that a side impact test. Its not fair to compare seats that supposedly side impact test to ones that do not because there is no factual comparative basis by which to compare.

As for the anti submarine clip, it can sometimes be a false sense of security. The belt needs to fit a child properly without the clip for the booster to be deemed a proper fit. If the belt is riding up without the clip then either the seat doesn't fit the child correctly or the child is too small for that seat/isn't booster ready. In theory its a great idea, but in reality if the booster doesn't fit, the booster doesn't fit.

Even the best marketed seats have recalls. Britax just recalled a bunch of Chaperone infant seats for an incorrectly installed rivet. The Radian models have had their fair share as well for various issues. There has been much debate over recalls and quantity...something to consider is market share - when a company has 4 times as many seats out there, the numbers of one recall is going to seem astronomical. When you look at the statistics, it doesn't necessarily mean their seat is bad, it just means they average what the other companies with less seats out there average. Price doesn't necessarily dictate recalls. Transport Canada is always working to ensure your child is safe. The defect investigator is not going to let potentially life threatening flaws in a seat go without a recall.

The best seat is always the seat that fits your child correctly, is used correctly each and every time your child rides in it and is installed correctly with the installation being checked to make sure its tight on a regular basis. You are also going to have people strongly encouraging extended rear facing and there are seats that can possibly do this more effectively than simply limiting yourself to 2 brands. If a steel frame is important to your piece of mind, then thats different - thats a preference. But there is no statistical evidence proving its going to keep your child any safer than a seat that doesn't have a steel frame.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC