Radian in Town and Country 3rd row

aaiya

We're trying to install a Radian (xtsl) FF in the center of a 2005 Town and Country. My husband did the initial install with the seat belt and rear teather and I assumed it was an ok installation...later, I noticed the shoulder straps on my son weren't tight enough and yanked on the tightening webbing (which is reeeeallly stiff) and the entire seat bottom moved forward probably 6 inches. We just tried it with the off-center latch instead of the seatbelt...same thing happens--lots of movement there. Is this normal???

ADS

sunflower

It needs a locking clip. You need a lot of strength to really pull the seatbelt tight. We had a tech install one in a Caravan '10.

tiggercat

No, that movement is not ok. The seat needs to be installed so that there is less than 1 inch of movement side to side or front to back.

If it is similar to my 02 Caravan, the back centre position is tricky. Is it a lap only belt, or a lap/shoulder?
In my vehicle, I have to twist the buckle stalk down 3 full turns (that is the max allowed), put the forward facing recline down, and push down not back when installing. Because it is a lap belt only, locking clip is not allowed.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

aaiya

No, that movement is not ok. The seat needs to be installed so that there is less than 1 inch of movement side to side or front to back.

K, that's what I thought...

If it is similar to my 02 Caravan, the back centre position is tricky. Is it a lap only belt, or a lap/shoulder?
In my vehicle, I have to twist the buckle stalk down 3 full turns (that is the max allowed), put the forward facing recline down, and push down not back when installing. Because it is a lap belt only, locking clip is not allowed.

It's a lap belt only. And it has a hard plastic thing over the buckle stalk that makes rotating the buckle stalk impossible. I'm at a loss. We even unstowed our vacant captain's chair and tried to install it there...which was even worse than 3rd row center--couldn't even get it buckled without the seatbelt webbing being all scrunched up and at a really terrible angle. (if I'm really missing something intellectually please let me know) :scratchhead:.

We finally ended up pulling our Frontier 85 from my husband's vehicle and installing it with latch so I can leave the house today...but even that isn't ideal.

tiggercat

K, that's what I thought...

It's a lap belt only. And it has a hard plastic thing over the buckle stalk that makes rotating the buckle stalk impossible. I'm at a loss. We even unstowed our vacant captain's chair and tried to install it there...which was even worse than 3rd row center--couldn't even get it buckled without the seatbelt webbing being all scrunched up and at a really terrible angle. (if I'm really missing something intellectually please let me know) :scratchhead:.

We finally ended up pulling our Frontier 85 from my husband's vehicle and installing it with latch so I can leave the house today...but even that isn't ideal.

The Radian is incompatible in my capt chairs with seatbelt, because of the fixed forward leaning buckle stalk.
Your 3rd row centre has a hard plastic stalk? Huh. Mine is flexible. I don't think I could achieve an acceptable install without twisting. I can try, though.
The Frontier fits nicely in the capt chairs with the long belt path install, if the helps.

No, you're not missing anything. Unfortunately, the Radian and seatbelt installs in early-mid 2000 Caravans/T&C's just don't get along well :/

sunflower

In the '06 Caravan I had before this, I was able to get the Radian rock solid FF using the TA in the middle row bench. I assume the captains chair probably have the same build.

(My Dodge '10 has a shoulder and lap belt.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC