Radian 40lbs safestop question

winter

I think it is called the safestop :confused: I'm talking about the removable strap piece you use FF up to 40 lbs on the Radian....Sorry, my brain is a little foggy this afternoon.

My DD, who is almost 4 and FF is about 39 lbs. With winter coming, I was wondering what to do about her seat. With her winter boots on and warmer clothing, I bet you she is over 40 lbs. Do I use her indoor clothes weight or do I use her warm clothes and in winter boots weight? I know it seems like a silly question, but I do think the boots and sweater will bring her over the 40 lbs and I'd rather re-install the seat before it hits 30 below.

Is it OK to remove it before 40 lbs? is it OK to use it just over 40lbs if the extra weight is clothes?

ADS

Keeanh

My guess (and it's just a guess), is that the Safestop is meant to reduce neck loads on younger children. But over 40lbs might pull the Safestop out too fast/far, they will get more ride-down from the regular harness (because their weight will stretch it more), and over 40lbs will be an older stronger child.

So, going by that assumption, I would maybe take it off a touch early rather than leave it on too long. I wouldn't want it to give too much.

Although, really, I wouldn't be SUPER concerned about it. There has to be a lb or two leeway unless they want you switching on & off depending on what the child is wearing and whether or not they've eaten a large meal ;).

Pixels

The SafeStop is a load limiting device intended to protect the necks of young FFers. The unofficial info I got says it's better to have the SS on at 41 pounds than to take it off at 39 pounds.

The very first Radians did not have the SS at all. And at one point they had a 48 pound limit on them. So I don't think it's a major problem either way.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The engineer from the Radian was involved in a continuing education chat on the forum here awhile ago, and the question was posed regarding what should be done with the safestop for a child who is hovering between 39 and 41 pounds depending on the day. His answer was that the safestop should be left on until the child is staying over 40lbs.

So I would weigh her, and if she's not over 40lbs, leave it on. You may have to re-install in the winter if she gains weight, but you can always go to a carwash to do it.

So far as bulky clothing goes, make sure that you're not using a bulky coat or snowsuit in the carseat. Bulky jackets tend to have a lot of air in them and the fabric is going to be compressed in a collision which will push all that air out and leave you with a loose harness. Lots of people use microfleece sweaters and take the winter coat off when they get to the vehicle, then toss blankets on top once kiddo is buckled in. There is also a thread around here regarding the coat trick that can be used. Your daughter is likely old enough that it will work on her, but I find it doesn't work well on small kids. I believe my signature picture shows my son buckled in using it - you can see how the bulk of his coat isn't on his hips or chest and the only place the straps are touching his coat is on his shoulders. :thumbsup:

Some people also put the coat on backwards once the child is buckled in, but I just keep blankets in my vehicles. More often than not my kids throw the blankets off halfway through the trip because they get too hot even when it's -30 out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC