Question about the different Graco 65 car seats

Saramomofmany

I'm looking at purchasing a Graco 65 of some sort(Graco Size4Me 65, GracoFit4me, Graco MyRide 65 LX, etc). I was on Walmart.com looking at the different option, and it looks like some are on clearance, some on roll-back, etc. There's also some that say "New improved buckle" on the main page when searching for Graco car seats. I'm curious if anyone knows the differences. Would the ones that say "New improved buckle" be newer, and better models than the ones that don't say that?

Of course I'd like to save money, but I also want an improved buckle if there's an issue with the buckles on the ones that don't say that.

FYI: this will be used with an 18 month old, Extended RF.

Thanks!! Sara

ADS

Cnidaria

There was a buckle recall awhile back but any newly-purchased seat would have the new buckle.

If you run across one of those seats that has a "70" after the name rather than 65, that seat would have an earlier date of manufacture. Here is more than you ever wanted to know about the change from 70 lb to 65 lb weight limits, if you're curious: http://csftl.org/65-is-the-new-70/ (but hardly required reading!)

The MyRide is quite a different seat from the others. It is big and bulky and doesn't last as long either rear-facing or forward-facing.

Here is a handy chart comparing the seats that you're looking at:
10898110_817732858264812_8796111255332626098_n.jpg

The Contender is the same size and shape as the other "clones" and has the same limits, but has different features and is less expensive. This review explains the differences: http://csftl.org/graco-contender-review/

Last edited by a moderator:

lgenne

There was a recall. It's illegal to sell car seats with the old buckle.

The "new improved buckle!" wording is advertising, in case people have old car seats that they never registered, never got the new buckle, and are certain that they don't like Graco seats as a result. Any Graco car seat you buy will have the same buckle, regardless of whether the ad mentions it.

Cnidaria

Although actually, there are some seats that have a buckle that looks identical to the recalled one but is not part of the recall. But I don't know if there are any of those still hanging around. And I doubt that there's ANY correlation with the online listing saying "New Improved Buckle!" and any seats that might still have that older style one.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
You might also consider the Milestone (though I think I've seen it lower, like $180) http://www.target.com/p/graco-milestone-all-in-1-car-seat/-/A-16721763 It's a little more low and wide open and also a very good choice for extended rearfacing (The 4Ever as well, but I am guessing you were looking at the less expensive choices). That chart doesn't clearly show the wider side impact protection 'wings' on the foot area of the Headwise, but it makes the base a tad wider than the others.

1mommy

Dang it Jools! You're making me want to get the Milestone for DH's truck as the new truck he got doesn't have running boards and I hate hoisting DS2 into the MySize, lol. I kept telling myself I didn't need to spend the extra money for a booster and I'd rather get a dedicated booster down the road but the lower sides are so tempting!

Saramomofmany

You might also consider the Milestone (though I think I've seen it lower, like $180) http://www.target.com/p/graco-milestone-all-in-1-car-seat/-/A-16721763 It's a little more low and wide open and also a very good choice for extended rearfacing (The 4Ever as well, but I am guessing you were looking at the less expensive choices). That chart doesn't clearly show the wider side impact protection 'wings' on the foot area of the Headwise, but it makes the base a tad wider than the others.

Julie,

Thanks for another option. I was mostly choosing from those car seats because I heard they were a somewhat more narrow car seat, and I wanted to avoid a Diono.

Will be doing 3 across, and was hoping for something more on the narrow side.

Sara

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Sarah--Ah, yeah, true, can't beat the clones for narrow!

1Mommy, I just love that I have the 4Ever to show people at the store, and the Rainier, to show them that it's so low profile, and before the 4Ever, you'd have to buy that crazy-expensive-hard-to-learn-to-install Diono (and the MySize is so nice and narrow now, it's another good alternative to the Diono...and I'm not a Diono hater, but if there are easier alternatives...well... it's hard to defend them!)

1mommy

So is the 4ever noticeably wider then the Mysize? Because I do need to fit in between 2 controvertible seats in the back to tend to both kids, good thing I'm skinny but I just barely fit inbetween a Mysize and a Maestro. Do you have any experience with the milestone, I know its similar but not identical to the 4ever? I was thinking that maybe with the cupholder being on the left side it would leave more room for me then the Mysize which has it on the right so because we have DS2's car seat (RF of corse) installed behind the passenger I was thinking it wouldn't come into my space. Hate to thread crash here but is the Mysize pretty much the narrowest convertible besides the Radian/Foonf (and Ranier/Flo)?

1mommy

Lol, I might have to go to walmart with my tape measure then, they won't let me try it out in my car, but I can measure at least, thanks for answering what you can :)

Cnidaria

The 4Ever is definitely wider than the clones, with its cupholders. The Milestone is intermediate between the two.

Also take a look at the SureRide/Titan 65. It's good for an adult to sit next to because it's super narrow at the base and your butt can go underneath the flared-out armrests/sides. I think in absolute width it's about the same as the clones or maybe 1/2" wider, but in some ways it's way narrower.

Cnidaria

The SureRide takes up quite a bit of space front to back RFing, though (but can fit in some middle seats no problem). The Scenera NEXT is very compact front to back and narrower than the clones, but is functionally a rear-facing-only seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC