Please help pick a convertible for ERF

momofmandp

Hello, it's been a while since I've looked at car seat options and I now see that there are a lot of newer options since I've last looked. Normally, I'm a researchaholic and will spend weeks reading threads, reviews, etc... But, I was just in an accident today and need to get a new seat ASAP...pretty much need to go out and get a seat tomorrow. So, I don't have time to do a ton of research and am hoping that you would please help me decide. I'm looking for a seat for my 15 month old. He's about 23 pounds and 32 inches. Both of my older children rear faced to the limits of the seats and I'm also hoping to rear face the baby as long as possible. The seat that was in the accident was a True Fit Premiere. I really liked the seat . I like the anti-rebound bar, but ideally, I'd like a higher rear facing weight limit for the next seat. At quick glance, I was looking at a Diono or also happened to see the Clek Foonf. Should I pick one of those two or should I be looking at something else? I like that the Foonf also has the anti-rebound bar, but it's also quite a bit pricier. Is the extra expense worth it? I felt better knowing that the True Fit had the bar, but do I really need it? The seat will go into a driver's side captains chair in a Toyota Sienna. It's a main seat as it's the only car he rides in. Price isn't too much of an object since insurance is covering it, but don't know if the insurance will hesitate paying for a $500 seat. They didn't put any limits though. They just said get the replacements and submit the receipts. They didn't even ask what the current seats are and don't even want them. They told us to do whatever we want with them. Am I forgetting any information? I would really appreciate your help please! :thanx!:

ADS

nannykates

I hope everyone is ok!

The highly recommended ERF seats right now are(with comments, price point, and limiting factors)

-Chicco Nextfit (new but seems very nice, $279-300, 40lbs 40" 1"rule)
-Graco Headwise/size4me/mysize (tallest for rf but not a ton of leg room and has the graco/evenflo buckle, $150-199, 40 lbs and 1" rule measured from bottom of red adjuster)
-Diono Radian (still well loved for ERF, 40-45lbs, 44", 1.5" rule)
-Clek Foonf (Sits up quite high on a base, $500 in store, 50lbs 43" and 1" rule)
-Maxi Cosi Pria (don't have any comments on this one, 250-300, 40lbs, 40", 1"rule)

Of those I like the Nextfit best but the radian and foonf could give you a bit more rf time. That said they are also harder to find in store (I've only seen them at bbb). The Nextfit is currently at most Babies R Us and starting to hit target shelves. The Pria is also going to be harder to find (again I've only seen it at bbb) and the Graco seat will be the easiest (they are carried by most targets, brus and bbb.)

HTH!!

MommyShannon

I like the anti rebound feature. The Radian allows rf tethering which provides basically the same anti rebound as the bar on the TFP or Foonf. Its also been mentioned that the NextFit passes Canada's anti rebound test (not sure exactly what the test is called) so the shape of the seat provides some rebound protection. My understanding is there isn't a 40" limit on the NextFit, just 1" from the top of the headrest in the tallest position. It is 25.5" which is just 1" shorter than the TFP but a 40lb rf limit. The Foonf would probably last the longest overall (likely outgrown by height). The Radian would last a long time too. If you get the Radian, you may want to order an angle adjuster that helps it install more upright for older kids. I'm not sure if its normally needed in your car or not.

Amyfromky

Just a heads up, comfort1st.com has a black Foonf for $319 and colors for $359. I bet insurance would be much more willing to pay for those.

ETA: that is a lie. They increased their prices from this weekend.

CarSeat Dad

At quick glance, I was looking at a Diono or also happened to see the Clek Foonf.

We love our Diono Radian RXT in our minivan. My DS [this means darling son, correct?] is 2.5 y/o and 34lbs and is pretty tall (forgetting exact height). Compared to a Britax Marathon 70 and a Recaro ProRide that are installed in our other cars, he has by far the most room in the Diono.

The Diono's shape makes it easy for us to load our son into the seat without having to shoehorn him through a mail-slot opening created by the seat walls (e.g. the ProRide). Plus, we can go to 45 lbs with the Radian. The only disadvantage to the Radian is that we find its straps more difficult to tighten than the other seats.

The Marathon is a close second for us and works better in cars smaller than vans (the Diono is a beast - which I like). The ProRide is the worst of all - extremely difficult to load rear facing and very little legroom. The ProRide was fine when he was smaller and probably would be fine FF, but it doesn't work well for us in ERF mode.

I haven't seen or tried a clek Foonf, but it definitely will be on our list when our DS#2 (3 weeks old) is ready to move from a carrier to a seat. Visually, the clek seems to have a similar shape to the Radian so hopefully it will be as easy to use.

momofmandp

Thank you for your help everyone. We have a local baby boutique that has a decent selection and we were able to check out the Diono and the Foonf and decided to get the RXT. I was tempted by the Foonf for the anti-rebound feature, but it just seemed so high. DH and I preferred the lower profile of the RXT...plus we can tether that. And so far, installed in the rental Sienna, installation seems fine without the angle adjuster. We'll see how it is when we get our own Sienna back. I would have liked to also check out the Nextfit since that also seems so widely talked about, but the store said it was coming, but they hadn't gotten it in yet. We're happy with the RXT though as we needed it sooner than later and we like that we were able to support a local small business. :) Thank you again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC