Question Planning ahead (Canada)

Hi! I'm new as a poster, but I've been lurking and linking to many threads here over the years.

So DH and I are hoping for a new baby sometime in the next year, and are wondering what kind of car seat to buy.
I drive an 03/04 Civic (4 door). I'm 5'7'', and he's 6'4'' - and requires that the seat be pushed all the way back for him to be remotely comfortable in my car.
We don't want to bother with a bucket/infant seat first off, and we're hoping to get a seat that will RF for at least 2 years.
Our choices are:
The Radians (any of the 3)
Britax (any of them)
Graco MyRide 65
Safety 1st Guide 65
Safety 1st Complete Air.

I guess my main question is - which will fit best in the car, and which are good for newborns? Or... which seats are most likely NOT going to work?

ADS

jkrkmama

Welcome. I have learned sooo much here.

I think the Britax seats need an infant support to make them truly compatible for newborns, because the harness height is still too high on the first slot. I think a MaxiCosi Pria would be an option for you to start off with, and they RF a good while. Radians are very popular as well.

Sent from my Evo Shift using car-seat.org

cmcki737

If you just want something for the first 2 yrs or so a Combi Coccoro would be a good option.

sent from my SPH-M580 using Car-Seat.Org

MaKoski

Re: Planning ahead

I also didn't bother with an infant bucket. We brought #2 home in a MyRide. She was a big newborn(9lbs 1.1oz, 22 1/2in) But it fit her nicely and still does at 21 months, my #1 is a small 5yr old who could still use it RF.

Re: Planning ahead

Ah - I should have mentioned, I'm from Canada - so the Pria and Coccoro won't work.
Thanks for the responses though :)

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
The complete air doesn't fit newborns. The bottom slots are to high.

The britax might work if you get the sold seperately infant insert, but some babys still don't fit even with it.

The key thing will be getting a 45 degree install for a newborn. The Britax and Radian allow bracing as long as your car does.

livilou

I agree on the CA. I LOVE the seat (its the one we have for DD) but not only is it totally not compatible with a newborn (unless you have a newborn who is the size of my 9 month old lol) and with the Complete Air, I dont think you could have the seats all the way back in that car and still have it reclined as much as it needs to be.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would put in a vote for the True Fit, which I realize is not on your list, but here's why you might consider it, particularly as you're planning to skip the bucket.

The top headrest portion comes off when the child us under 22lbs and a certain height, meaning the whole seat is shorter and you CAN get a 45* recline with it. The passenger seat might have to be scooted up a bit, but not much really. Then, once the baby is older and needs the headrest on, the seat can be installed more upright. It does only rear face to 35lbs but it's tall -- you'd be gambling a bit whether you'll have a taller thinner child to make it last as long as possible, but with your heights, I'm guessing that's not unrealistic?

Your other realistic option would be the MyRide - it's quite compact and good for smaller cars -- yet not tiny either, you'll get good use out of it.

The Complete Air and Guide 65 won't fit newborns - the bottom slots are much too high, and the straps need to be at or BELOW the shoulders for rear facing.

The Britax seats might be ok with the infant wedge.

The Radians fit a newborn...but your front seat would be unusable in order to get the 45* recline. Which might not be terrible if you're ok with an adult sitting in the back beside the baby. It's GIGANTIC front to back when installed at that angle.

Thanks everyone :)
I have considered the TrueFit - but with the 35lb weight limit... honestly, I'm not too interested. DH and I both were big kids, and my son (doesn't live with us) hit 25lbs by 9 mo.

I'm starting to think that we'll either have to use DH's truck for the first while (GMC Crew cab - ANY seat would fit in there!) or I'll just sit in the back seat for the first while... which isn't such a bad idea.

Does anyone have any experience with a MyRide in a civic? The seat looks massive.

mam521

If you lurk a bit more, you'll find treads on MR in Civic I'm sure.

FWIW, I have it in my Jetta and its not too bad. The passenger seat has to come up some, but its fine. I guess the other question is are you going to install outboard or center? That will make a big difference too.

V

VanIsleMommy

a myride should fit in a civic, if my parents come up in the next few days I'll try my seat in their car :)

V

VanIsleMommy

tried the myride in a 98 4 door civic for you, it does fit but only with the front seat very far forward. for tall adults it likely wouldn't work. my vote would be true fit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC