Question Parkway SGL Install in 2012 Sienna

U

Unregistered

I have a 2 year old, 4 year old and 6 year old in my 2012 Sienna. My 6 year old rides in a Frontier on the passenger 3rd row spot, my 4 year old rides on the driver side 3rd row spot in a Frontier and my 2 year old rides in the passenger side captains chair in a soon to be expired Evenflo Triumph.

Due to the expiration of the 3rd seat, I decided to buy a Britax Parkway SGL for the 6 year old and then leave the 4 year old in his Frontier and buy a new combination seat for my 2 year old, moving the extra Frontier to my husband's car -- which we don't currently have any seats for.

I received the Parkway today and just tried to install it in the Sienna. In the 3rd row, with the middle latch, the seat belt is almost under the booster so it looks hard to buckle and it doesn't seem safe. Can I install this seat in the outboard position, using just the seat belt and securing it with the seat belt when it's not in use (kind of defeats the purpose of buying the Britax with the latch I guess in that case)? Or do I just put him in the captain's chair and move the other seats around?

Thanks!

ADS

henrietta

I have a 2 year old, 4 year old and 6 year old in my 2012 Sienna. My 6 year old rides in a Frontier on the passenger 3rd row spot, my 4 year old rides on the driver side 3rd row spot in a Frontier and my 2 year old rides in the passenger side captains chair in a soon to be expired Evenflo Triumph.

Due to the expiration of the 3rd seat, I decided to buy a Britax Parkway SGL for the 6 year old and then leave the 4 year old in his Frontier and buy a new combination seat for my 2 year old, moving the extra Frontier to my husband's car -- which we don't currently have any seats for.

I received the Parkway today and just tried to install it in the Sienna. In the 3rd row, with the middle latch, the seat belt is almost under the booster so it looks hard to buckle and it doesn't seem safe. Can I install this seat in the outboard position, using just the seat belt and securing it with the seat belt when it's not in use (kind of defeats the purpose of buying the Britax with the latch I guess in that case)? Or do I just put him in the captain's chair and move the other seats around?

Thanks!

While he is a new booster rider, I would consider putting him in the second row, so you can keep an eye on him. You can reevaluate in a few weeks or months after you see how he does. Truthfully, I have almost NEVER remembered to buckle in loose boosters in my car. I have one high back that can be latched in, which I'm glad for, cause it's heavy. The others get moved around frequently...and I've got too much on my plate to think about it. The bigger and heavier, the more I want them to be buckled or latched if possible.

Are you going for a combination seat or a convertible for your 2 year old? There's many more now that can keep him rear facing till he's 3, 4, or beyond if that interests you.

beetlemama

I'm terrible about remembering to rebuckle in my boosters. I know you're supposed to, but we never remember.

I will say that I just tried to put a parkway sg on the captain's chair in my 2014 sienna and the headrests push it far too forward and create a gap that I believe is not allowable by britax, so it's incompatible. The gap between the back and the headrest was enormous.

U

Unregistered

I currently have him in the captain's chair and while likes it and is doing well with the "rules", he can no longer buckle himself because the buckle is too far down. And once he is buckled, I have to pull the seat belt and let it lock it. It is slightly frustrating. It was much easier to just have him in his harness that he can buckle!!

I am able to take the headrests off in my 2012 Sienna, which is what I had to do. Otherwise, it didn't fit.

Is it ok to use the seat without it being latched? And just use the buckle?

And yes, I am looking at a convertible... I was at BRU yesterday trying out some of the different models.

Thanks!!

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm terrible about remembering to rebuckle in my boosters. I know you're supposed to, but we never remember.

I will say that I just tried to put a parkway sg on the captain's chair in my 2014 sienna and the headrests push it far too forward and create a gap that I believe is not allowable by britax, so it's incompatible. The gap between the back and the headrest was enormous.

I haven't installed a forward-facing seat in a new Sienna, so I haven't played with the head restraints. I'd try removing it or putting it on backward so you don't lose it. That was my preference with my kids when they were in ff carseats and boosters and our 2004 Sienna's head restraints interfered with their seats.

I currently have him in the captain's chair and while likes it and is doing well with the "rules", he can no longer buckle himself because the buckle is too far down. And once he is buckled, I have to pull the seat belt and let it lock it. It is slightly frustrating. It was much easier to just have him in his harness that he can buckle!!

I am able to take the headrests off in my 2012 Sienna, which is what I had to do. Otherwise, it didn't fit.

Is it ok to use the seat without it being latched? And just use the buckle?

And yes, I am looking at a convertible... I was at BRU yesterday trying out some of the different models.

Thanks!!

Yep, sounds pretty common for new booster riders. You'd think moving to a booster would be easier, but it's not, and like any new skill, it needs lots of repetition until it becomes really easy and quick.

Sure, you don't need to have it LATCHed. LATCH is completely optional, but if you're using it in a captain's chair, I would definitely leave it LATCHed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC