New car issues

Bolly

I am currently in a Kia Sportage 2005 with a Combi Cocorro and Radian XTSL, Ds1 is 16, Ds2 is 4 and DD is 2. We all fit in albeit a bit of a squeeze right now. Here's the problem, I am pregnant, 32w. Looking for a bigger car. I need third row, no doubt about that. I need AWD at the very least. I've looked at the Sienna AWD and Chevy traverse and all the different incarnations. My problem and deal breaker is the lack of top tethers in the third row. So I will have 2 RF in the captains chairs, one FF in the middle of the third row and my oldest will have to climb in and slide into one of the seats in the back. Not the most ideal situation. Why did the car manufacturers do this!?! Do I just suck it up or is there an alternative out there I am missing?

ADS

emntheboys

The Honda Pilot has top tethers in all (6!) rear seating positions. You can get AWD, it has headrests in all positions and lap/shoulder belts in all rear positions. Pre-2009 models have lower anchors in the two outboard positions in the 2nd row. 2009+ I believe have 3 sets in the 2nd row and 1 set in the 3rd.

emntheboys

They are all 8 passengers, so a bench in the 2nd row. Right now I have an extra kid for preschool dropoff (so 4 total). I have a RF Roundabout 50 drivers side 2nd row and a Turbobooster center. I can still slide the 40 portion for 3rd row access for my boys.

You could try RF infant Driver 2nd row, RF 2YO center, 16 YO pass 2nd row, and then the 4 YO in the 3rd row. 16 YO could ride in the 3rd row, but you're going to notice that leg room is pretty limited in most midsize SUV/crossovers. I think the '09+ models have a little better legroom than the older ones.

S

SoCalCarSeatMama

There is also the Durango. It has tethers in all rear seating positions as well. It only seats two in the third row (versus three in the Pilot) but it does offer captains chairs or a bench for the second row. I have a 2012 and have a bench in the second row. I have four car seats constantly in it. A rear facing Roundabout 55 behind the driver, Graco Nautilus in the center on the second row, the passenger side second row stays folded down unless its needed, and in the third row I have a Frontier 85 and a Recaro Vivo. I can still fit my BOB duallie jogging stroller in the cargo area with the third row up (standing the folding stroller up). I liked the idea of the captains chairs but I wanted the extra seat more so I went with the bench. Here's an album where I have a bunch of photos of different combos in my Durango. With a Radian in the center of the middle row (a Coccoro would work great here too) I can move the 40 split up and down for much easier access to the third row vs just folding the back down. 90% of the time I just have the back of the seat folded and my kids in the third row climb over it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/112512933158651100595/CarSeatStuff?authkey=Gv1sRgCOvUjKms1sWN7QE

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC