NEED QUICK HELP!

NannyMom

A friend contacted me, her friend is taking a preemie home from the hospital. She didn't tell my friend the weight, but wihin specs of the seat. Infant foam is in, it's a Britax Chaperone. But the hip straps are at the baby's knees. I'm waiting for her to send me a pic now. Is this normal for this seat? is this safe?

ADS

ceruti82

Kathy- Michelle sent me the pic- here is a pic. I just spoke with the mom-- she is going to try taking the foam out to see if it does anything better. She is going to call britax in the Morning. It looks to me like the baby is just too small.. He is just over 5 lbs I believe. So tho he "fits" by weight, it doesn't look like he "fits" by volume....

NannyMom

Problems seem to be semi solved. Michelle (my friend, that knows how to use a seat) is going to see Mom and baby at the hospital. And tonight she will be getting a phone call from a wonderful, extremely experienced tech :)

ETA: for anyone else seeing this, I did tell her it looks like the harness is way too loose around the hips. Mom says she can't get it any tighter, but hopefully that will be solved either by a visit from friend or the call from the CPSTI.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I don't think it's a safety issue to have the hip straps fit this way but I have heard of this problem. I believe baby may fit "better" without the insert. Is baby having any breathing issues? If not, you may want to skip the insert if baby fits well without it.

henrietta

This happened to us, too, w/our Compass infant seat a few years back. Our 35 weeker weighed under 6 lbs when we took him home, and he fit like that. It wasn't good, b/c it was even w/the straps all the way tight. The hip straps were sooo low that he could get his knees up under the hip straps before you could even get it buckled.

I'd take the insert out. I think it's really geared towards preemie size babies--3-4 pounders, not small newborns. Besides that, it looks like she probably will have a kiddo w/a longer torso and shorter legs. That's how our kiddo's turned out! :)

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC