Need more space in back of 2010 hyundia elantra touring

mandynee22

I'm in the process of gaining guardianship of my oldest DD's friend. Usually DD12 sits in the front seat but now she's squashed between two car seats in the back because her friend is 13 and a little bigger with wider hips so she won't fit. It's always been fine for once in a while to be back here but now we're talking minimum of 6 months and it's not working.
Here's what I have: 5 yr old FF in Nauti, outboard, LATCH install. 1 1/2 yr old RF in MyRide, outboard, LATCH install. I just tried to move the nauti to the middle and use the seatbelt but it won't work. I'm too frustrated to try and fail and moving the myride to the middle now :-(
Any advice? Would that work? Am I destined to have to buy the baby a new (narrower) seat? Any recs if so? (money is def a consideration, the baby is pretty tall but skinny. I think she's in the 95% for height)

ADS

Brianna

Try installing the seats with seatbelts, that may allow them to move outward enough to make it comfortable in the middle.

cookie123

Also, you could try installing both with seatbelts with one in the middle leaving an outboard spot for the 13 yo. In my vehicle the passenger side seemed to have more space than the driver's side.

cookie123

If you want to try new seats, either the Radian for the baby or the Maestro for the 5 year old are both narrow and would help. BOth the Nautilus and the My Ride are pretty wide seats.

mandynee22

If you want to try new seats, either the Radian for the baby or the Maestro for the 5 year old are both narrow and would help. BOth the Nautilus and the My Ride are pretty wide seats.

I tried the seatbelt installs and it was a fail. I ended up having to switch the myride for the evenflo seat that was in her dad's car (a little narrower) till I could save up some money for a radian. I had to trade out the Nauti for a booster for my 5 yr old to save even more space. Still it was a huge struggle to clip the seatbelt for whichever older girl sat in the back. I found a SK 80sl for 215 shipped and received it yesterday. Installed in the middle (seat belt install), also was able to easily put DS's Nauti back in and now it leaves the third seat with plenty of room for one of the older girls. Thanks everyone :) I didn't think only a few inches would make such an IMMENSE difference but it totally did

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC