Need help with 3 across!!

#1babysitter

I just got a nannying job and I need to figure out how to make a 3 across work in my car. I have a Lexus Rx400h so it's a SUV type vehical.

I'm not sure about the kids weights and heights so these are guesses:

C- almost 4, 36", 32"ish pounds
J- almost 2, 30", 30"ish pounds
B- 2 months, 22", 10 pounds

I would like to obviously harness all of the kids and possibly rear face the almost 2 year old. I was thinking of putting the baby in an infant car seat in the middle so when we go places I don't have to wake him I can just take the car seat out and put it in the stroller. Counting on rear facing the 2 year old, I would probably put him behind me since my seat is pretty far forward and I don't want to have to take his seat out so the passenger seat can go far enough back for when my boyfriend is in the car. The 4 year old would then be behind the passenger.

The seats I currently have are the Britax Frontier and the Safety First Complete Air. I'm planning on getting an infant seat for the baby and using those other 2 for the older kids, rear facing the 2 year old in the CA. My problem is I really don't think I can fit a 3 across with the huge Frontier. I was thinking of getting a Nautilus instead. Any suggestions? I don't have a huge budget so the cheaper the better! If I get the Natuilus this way when the baby outgrows the infant seat I can move him to the CA, the 2 year old to the Natuilus and the 4 year old to a HBB. Counting on the baby doesn't outgrow it for at least a couple of months. Don't like putting young kids in boosters!

Any input is appreciated!

-Alex

ADS

#1babysitter

Or what about a Graco Smart Seat instead of the Nautilus? That way when baby moves to the CA, the 2 year old can move to the Smart Seat and still be rear facing if needed. I know it's only half an inch less wide than the Frontier but if I got a narrow infant seat or the Combi Corroro it might work.

Ninetales

I'm not familiar with the car but I can tell you both the Nautilus and the Smart Seat would be low on my list for a 3 across. They are both quite wide.

Ninetales

I'd look at an Evenflo Maestro for the 4 year old. I think they're supposed to be narrow, and at 32 lbs it should last awhile. It's usually outgrown as a booster at the same time as the harness but it's inexpensive and you can pass it down later.

kam1011

Totally agree on the Maestro. Does the baby ride in an infant seat in parents' cars? If so, you can just get an extra base or buckle baseless with the seatbelt.

aept

Another vote for the maestro for affordability and more narrow than a nauti or frontier.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

#1babysitter

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I realized that the Smart Seat probably wouldn't work after I said that. Yes the baby is in an infant seat in the parents car. I was thinking of just getting an extra base but a family a babysit for has an infant that just outgrew his infant car seat so they gave me it. It's a Baby Trend Flex Loc. I have also thought about the positioning and am going to put the 4 year old in the middle and the baby behind the passenger. With a baby in the seat it would be hard to lift the infant seat in and out of the car. The 4 year old can climb in herself then I can reach back from the front seat and buckle her in. I'm thinking the Maestro is my best bet unless I can get my hands on a Radian!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC