Question Moving to Sweden, can I take my USA seats?

mrw92037

Hi- I'm running into trouble finding accurate, consistent information regarding car seats in Sweden... (part of this may be my current lack of Swedish language skills)

I know many are convinced of the great safety record of Swedish car seats and their use, and have even read reports of importing Swedish seats to other countries. My question is the reverse. We've got significant $ invested in some of the top American seats and am wondering if I can keep using them when we move to Sweden in 2 weeks... Daughter age 5 has a Radian 65 in each car, sits forward facing. Son, age 2.75 yrs currently has one Britax Marathon and one Britax roundabout and sits forward facing.

We will be converting the little one back to rear facing when we get to Sweden, and according to manufacturer information both of his seats should be fine rear facing tethered. The older one should be able to use a just a booster seat and lap belt in Sweden, but I'd prefer to keep her in the 5 point harness as long as possible.

I've sent e-mail to each manufacturer but all they say is that the ones I have are not certified for use in Europe, but that there may be some reciprocity agreements with some countries. Of course it is in their best financial interests for me to throw away the seats I've got in the USA and buy new ones when I get to Europe.

Anyone have any ideas what the laws in Sweden say? or other European countries? I'm convinced that we have very safe seats for our children and would hate to just throw them away due to them not having a certain certification sticker. Thanks in advance for any insight any of you can offer

Mike

ADS

mrw92037

Not sure about the legality of using them in Sweden, but if money is the issue, have you considered selling your seats?

Christine- thanks for the quick and thoughtful reply. Selling might be an option, but time is short, and I would ideally like to use them up until the day we leave and or ship the car. A sale would take a special sale agreement with someone local.

More importantly at this point, if I can take them with us, that's one less thing I have to coordinate once we're on the ground during what is shaping up to be a very complicated first few months in a country where we don't speak the language.

Finally, if we were to move them and then it turns out that technically we can't use them, it's not as simple as cutting the straps and tossing it in our jumbo sized garbage can in the USA. Garbage/recycling service expenses become an issue for items of this size.

Last edited:

wyomommyx3

How long are you going to be there? I think the major factor is whether you are visiting or moving there. No one expects someone from Sweden to buy new seats for a few weeks/months here... nor would I *think* you would need to for a short(ish) stay there.

Hopefully someone else will know the legalities of it for sure though ;)

mrw92037

How long are you going to be there? I think the major factor is whether you are visiting or moving there. No one expects someone from Sweden to buy new seats for a few weeks/months here... nor would I *think* you would need to for a short(ish) stay there.

Hopefully someone else will know the legalities of it for sure though ;)

Another good follow up question. The relocation is for my work and the new job will have me there as a regular local hire. We're probably looking at 2-3 years at least, so I don't think I'll be able to get away with the "just visiting" defense. There would be a lot of things about this move that would be easier if I could. ;-) too bad...

sailingdaddy

We've got significant $ invested in some of the top American seats and am wondering if I can keep using them when we move to Sweden in 2 weeks... Daughter age 5 has a Radian 65 in each car, sits forward facing. Son, age 2.75 yrs currently has one Britax Marathon and one Britax roundabout and sits forward facing.

Hi,

Welcome to Sweden, I hope You will enjoy it here.

The short answer is NO, you can not legally use any of your seats here. As in all European countries seats need to be ECE approved. There are NO exemptions, not even for visitors or tourists. (Please note that exemptions for US military personnel available in some EU countries does not apply in Sweden (or Switzerland) as we are not a NATO member).

Having said that, it's very unlikely that you would have a problem if You just use your seats for a few weeks until you have time to arrange legal seats, especially if you have proof that you just moved here and the kids are otherwise properly restrained.

But if You are leaving in 2 weeks, you won't have time to ship a car anyways, so what will you drive when you get here?

It's good that you have decided to turn the 2-year old back RF, but you will need a high-weight "swedish" RF seat for him anyways, that will keep him RF until 4 or 5, turning him before 4 would be seen as bad parenting here, even though it's technically legal.

We don't recommend or believe in harnessing older children, so you will need a good high-back booster for the 5-year-old. If You car has isofix or standard-compliant spaced latch one of the best is Britax KidFix.

I hope it helps, even if it was not what You wanted to hear!

BR

/Marcus

mrw92037

Tack Marcus- Agree, not what I wanted to hear, but at least some clarity. In this case, it makes sense for us to leave the seats behind and purchase new when we get there. Yes we could bring our USA seats to use for a few days/weeks, but then it means we need to dispose of those seats in Sweden as we couldn't really sell or even give away. In my opinion it's probably better to just buy new once we arrive rather than have to try to dispose of illegal car seats.

We will be shipping one car just before we leave and have already sold one car here to be delivered to the new owner on our last day in the USA-- the guy will buy it and then drop us off at the airport in the car. We will rent a car for a few days upon arrival in Gothenburg and will try to purchase one car as soon as possible within the first few days when we arrive. The shipped car will get there sometime 6-7 weeks later.

Again, thank-you, your help and that of the entire carseat.org site has been extremely helpful. If anyone else has thoughts or is local to San Diego and is interested in a good deal on the previously mentioned used car seats please let me know. I can give some to some friends here in SD, but their infants are a few years from using the radian 65 seats... Might make more sense to sell to someone who can use immediately. Thanks again all,

Mike

Adventuredad

Welcome to Sweden, hope everything weill go well with your move.

- Above answers regading EU/Us seats are correct. One is not allowed to use non ECE R44 certified seats in Europe. Doesn't matter if it's for a day or a year. Theere are exceptions in some countries for US military staff (although not in Sweden)

- It is illegal to use US seats in Sweden but it's unlikely anyone will notice.

- You will find that noforward facing harnessed seats are used over here for older kids and also that most kids sit rear facing for a long time. There is no law regarding minimum rear facing time. Most parents keep their children rear facing to age 4 or longer since it's so much safer.

- Your 5- year old will be just as safe, safer acccording to experts over here, in a good high back booster seat. This would be a small investment in case you are flexible with not using harnessed seat. A great hbb such as Britax Adventure cost around €100.

- In case you want to still keep your 5-year old harnessed your only option is Britax Two-Way. It can be used rear and forward fa ing to 55 lbs. It's the only seat in Europe which allow forward facing with harness to 55 lbs. All other EU seats have 40 lbs. forward facing limits.

- In case you bring your seats, will you need to pay extra charges? This can be expensive nowadays.......

- Shame you are not in the Stockholm area. I could have arranged for you to borrow seats for as long as needed

- There is a great variety of rear facing seats avaialbe which will be helpful for your almost 3 year old. Seats have tall seat shells, are compact in size and most have 55 lbs rear facing limit. Seats last rear facing to 4-6 years and a height in between 44-52 inches)

- What kind of car will you be using over here?

- Recycling/disposing of your seats over here will not mean any extra expense. We have lots of local places where household items are recycled free of charge. Us Swedes are boring and do lots of recycling...;-)

Please let us know if you have more questions or need any kind of help with your move over here.

mrw92037

Thank-you for further information. I guess we're now open to suggestions for car seats for the children.

The car we are shipping is a Mercedes ML350 SUV. My plan is to purchase a combi when we arrive. Currently driving an e320 combi in the USA that will be sold, but thinking something smaller like a BMW 3 series wagon or maybe a Volvo V40 combi may be a better choice for Europe and city life parking reality. Other options on the radar are offerings from Audi or Mercedes again.

Glad to hear there are good recycling options, however we'll leave the USA seats at home. My wife is German (as if you couldn't tell by our auto choices ;-), and I know that disposing of car seats would be a hassle there. It will be easier to just rent seats with a rental car the 1st few days until we buy a used car and then I can go get the appropriate seats.

Does anyone have recommendations of where to purchase car seats in the Gothenburg region?

SO completely happy I stumbled upon this site during my google searches. All of your input is helping the process at hand immensely. Thanks again,

Mike

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Will you be visiting family in the US? If so you could leave your US seats with them for those times.

As far as giving them to family members, all three of the seats you have are suitable for infants. The Britaxes won't fit most newborns, but by 3 months most babies have grown into them. The Radian fits even newborns well.

sailingdaddy

Does anyone have recommendations of where to purchase car seats in the Gothenburg region?

I have bought several seats & strollers from Happyland. They often have promotions or reduced price offerings and their staff is nice and helpful.

http://www.happyland.nu/index.html

Here is a currrent promotion, as I said before I would get the KidFix for the older and probably a Multitech for the younger:

http://www.blocket.se/goteborg/Britax_Kid_Fix_fr_1798___26988695.htm?ca=15&w=1
http://www.blocket.se/goteborg/Britax_Multi_Tech_Harry_16113964.htm?ca=15&w=1

Other options are "Babyproffsen", at 2 different locations:
http://babyproffsengbg.jetshop.se/

I'm in Gothenburg, just let me know if You need any other local advice or help with translation.

Some other good sources of information that may apply to You:

http://movingtoscandinavia.blogspot.com/2010/05/logistics-after-moving.html

http://www.transportstyrelsen.se/en...cation-of-origin/Import-from-start-to-finish/
http://www.transportstyrelsen.se/en/road/Vehicles/

- Winter tires (approved type) are required!
- Dayligt Running Lights are used in Sweden

Please note that your US Driver's License is only valid for 12 months. Remember to start the process to obtain a Swedish license in time! The Swedish test, both theoretical and practical is nothing like the US tests, ours are VERY difficult. You most likely will need to go to driving school at least for a few lessons to have a chance to pass.

If You are on a temporary stay with a fixed time contract and can prove that, you may be able to get an extension on the 12-month rule (to be able to drive for 2 years or so on your US license).

http://www.korkortsportalen.se/andra-sprak/

http://www.korkortsportalen.se/upload/dokument/Ovriga_dokument_TS/International/engelska.pdf

http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?showtopic=120&st=0

BR,

/Marcus

ilo

I recently moved to Europe as well. DD was still 3 at the time and RF in a newish 45lbs Radian. I had purchased new seat for her to RF only 5 months before we moved as she was close being too heavy for her Boulevard.

We moved with the carseat. I considered having somebody to purchase a seat for us before we came but decided it was the least hassle to use the Radian. We did not have to pay for the carseat nor did we use it on the plane this time. First few days we used the Radian. When I had time I went and bought 1 Multitech for DD. We tested it in all the cars we needed it to fit in and it fit great on all the others than Citroen C3. So now we use RF Radian in the Citroen, it happens to be a perfect fit for that car. You can still fit two boosters on it sides and both front seats can be used for adults. With a Multitech you could only fit the driver and another person at the back as the Multitech filled rest of the car. That was not a choice as we needed both the front seats as well as all the backseats to be in use. Radian is illegal but only RF choice in that car for my child who is over 18kg. I want my child to be safe on an imported seat rather than not as safe but legal on a booster. I also purchased another Multitech for another car so we have two of those too. I do love the Multitech :love: DD has plenty of room in it and I think we can Rf her still for a year.

Why I'm telling you this that Multitech is really big. I can sit comfortably on the passenger side in front of it but a person taller than me could not fit there. I'm 5'5. There was much more room with RF US Britax or Radian. I would probably bring the seats for two reasons. 1. it will give you few days time to buy Swedish seats and 2. incase you would have hard time with a fit you still have the option of using your US seats before you can figure something out. Here in Finland many FF their young kids as either they bought a smaller RF seat which fit in their smallish car and FF when the child does not fit in the seat anymore or they have no room in their small car with a large RF swedish seat so they get frustrated and turn their kid FF. Next time we'll buy a car I'll take the Multitech with me to make sure it will fit with lot of room for a person in front of it.

On another note I was really disappointed to see our Swedish friends who had their 2 year old FF. They were driving their own car so it was a permanent solution. I though everybody in Sweden RF their toddlers?

Leche Mami

I have bought several seats & strollers from Happyland. They often have promotions or reduced price offerings and their staff is nice and helpful.

http://www.happyland.nu/index.html

We bought our TWE from Happyland. We had a good experience there and the promotion price was really great. It is easiest to get to by car but not too far from the city center. They have a test bench in the store where they show you how to properly install the seat too. We also purchased MT from the Volvo delivery center. It has the Volvo badge on it but is a MT and we found it to be less expensive than in a Volvo dealership or the regular MT from a baby store. It is of course a much farther drive though from the city center. You might call over there and ask their pricing if you are interested in a MT to see if it would be worth the drive.

We love our Swedish seats. Our five year old is very attached to them.

dingohate

Just a thought about selling your current seats. Would it be TERRIBLY expensive to have the Swedish seats shipped here and sell your US seats? Either way you go you will be using seats illegally for a few weeks etc. but this way allows you to sell your current seats as I'm sure you won't get much for them in Europe ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC