Question LATCH and seat belt together

cowgirlsmommy

Since we have more seats coming out that allow both to be used together, where do we find out which vehicle manufacturers don't allow it?
I've searched and searched my Dodge grand caravan manual and see nothing against it and when I e-mailed them they told me to go by my car seat manual. Yet, I'm constantly seeing people say Dodge doesn't allow this.

ADS

thekatie

I vaguely remember reading that the vehicle manuals needed to explicitly state it is okay, and that only the newer Fords do. But that was maybe a year ago, and I know 1) I can misremember and 2) things change... so I'm very interested in this too.

Persimmon

I recently asked the Clek CPST about this here.

She said that if it's not prohibited in your vehicle manual, and there is no interference between the seatbelt and lower anchors, then they allow it. The lower anchor system and seatbelt system are independent of each other, so in the case of a seat with rigid LATCH such as the foonf, there aren't any unknown variables.

thekatie

I recently asked the Clek CPST about this here.

She said that if it's not prohibited in your vehicle manual, and there is no interference between the seatbelt and lower anchors, then they allow it. The lower anchor system and seatbelt system are independent of each other, so in the case of a seat with rigid LATCH such as the foonf, there aren't any unknown variables.

I saw that, and even in that thread I was thinking "well, I still don't know if just because a vehicle manual does not specifically say 'do not use LATCH and the seatbelt together' that it means the vehicle actually allows it". I get that Clek allows it, but does Lexus? I was hesitant to ask because I don't know how to phrase it without sounding combative. And, I don't have a foonf...

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I get what you're saying thekatie. I mean there are vehicle manuals that don't explicitly state "don't use the outboard anchors in the centre position" and when telling parents not to do that, we cite that the vehicle manual doesn't explicitly allow it. And we used to tell people not to use the seatbelt and the anchors because neither their car seat manual or vehicle manual explicitly allowed it. But now we can tell people it's okay because the car seat manual says it's okay and the vehicle manual doesn't explicitly DISallow it.

Yes, I totally understand the confusion this will cause.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I thought there was a Combi or Chicco that did? Can't remember which company, just know it wasn't a seat available in Canada so I didn't pay much attention. There was a discussion about it last year I think which talked about it only being able to be used like that in a Ford (? There is a manufacturer now that says you can use both and I think it's Ford?) but that you couldn't use it any other vehicle make since it wasn't explicitly allowed.

thekatie

Combo Coccoro does, and it doesn't have rigid LATCH. That's another thing I've been curious about, because all the things I've seen recently (about the foonf and some of the newer infant seats allowing it) is that because its rigid LATCH and seatbelt there's no interference.

I got giddy once installing our CCO into a friend's brand new Ford Fusion. "Hey! I could use BOTH the seatbelt AND LATCH!" They thought I was crazy being excited about it. They think I'm crazy anyway ;)

ETA: I never actually did use both LATCH and the seatbelt because although I've read here that it's allowed, I never saw that in the manual. Plus, I don't really see the point in using both if one or the other works. But I was excited about the possibility.

Persimmon

I saw that, and even in that thread I was thinking "well, I still don't know if just because a vehicle manual does not specifically say 'do not use LATCH and the seatbelt together' that it means the vehicle actually allows it". I get that Clek allows it, but does Lexus? I was hesitant to ask because I don't know how to phrase it without sounding combative. And, I don't have a foonf...

Yeah, I agree, very confusing. I feel OK about using both when the time comes in my Forester because, in additional to my manual not disallowing it, I contacted Subaru a while back about it and they deferred to the car seat manual. When I pressed them on the subject, as in they definitively allow both, they referred me here. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC