Question Lap belt vs shoulder belt installation?

carleybar

Hello,

Is it safer to install a convertible car seat in the center position with a lap belt or on the side with a shoulder belt? I know the center position is generally safer, but I was wondering if a shoulder belt install was more desirable. Unfortunately, LATCH is not available. We are rear-facing a Chicco NextFit.

Thanks in advance :)
Carley

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
In general, center with a lap belt is fine (and preferable to being on the side). Even with lap-shoulder belts, it's the lap portion that holds the seat tight. Often that's easier to accomplish with a lap-only belt because it's more straight-forward. Sometimes (with any kind of belt) a seat might not install well. If that happens, there are some different tricks you can try, or sometimes another seating position is required.

There are also a couple other considerations. Are you installing the seat rear-facing or forward-facing? If forward-facing, do you have a top tether anchor for the center position?

carleybar

Thanks, Jennie. We are rear-facing a NextFit. We have a few years before we have to worry about the top tether, but I did notice there are anchor points on the backs of the rear seats. (It's an SUV, a 2005 Nissan X-Trail in South Africa. Isofix is not required here, and I suspect it's a model that was sold in Australia.) Will those seat-back anchor points work for a top-tether?

Keeanh

Lap-only belts are my hands-down favourites for installing car seats! Yes, they're very safe and often the best choice. Of course there are other considerations like tether anchor locations for FF seats, whether or not you can get a proper install with your seat, and what the vehicle manual says about using that location for car seat. But generally speaking, yes, you'll be fine with a rear-facing Nextfit in a middle lap belt :)

If you find that the buckle is hitting the side of the Nextfit belt path and keeping you from tightening all the way, twist the female buckle stalk down a bit. You're allowed up to 3 full twists.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC