KF30 ready to move up a slot or wait?

missrebel

DD will be 7 months old on the 28th. At her last appointment on the first she was 15lbs 5 oz and 27 1/2 inches. Right as she was ready to move from the lowest slot to the middle slot she got really fussy whenever I put her in her seat. I guess maybe the straps pulling from so low over her shoulders was uncomfortable? Well, she's been getting fussy again and I'm wondering if she's ready to move up again. This picture was the best example of what I'm actually seeing when I set her in the seat. It still doesn't look great though because she's scrunching up funny and her clothes are wrinkling funny making her torso look weird. I know photos can sometimes play with what things look like in real life especially when you take photos from different angles. You can see the slot just over her shoulder there. I'm getting ready to clean the cover and thought if she was really ready I could go ahead and move the straps when I put the cover back on, but of course I don't mind waiting a few more weeks and I think I probably will just to stay on the safe side. I'm just looking for some other opinions on what I'm seeing here.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2012-10-14_17-45-14_881.jpg
    2012-10-14_17-45-14_881.jpg
    468.5 KB · Views: 61
ADS

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Can't easily tell from this photo.

Check to make sure there's at least an 1" of shell above her head.

There's kind of a "no man's land" in many car seats: DC is below the next slot but the current slot is way behind the shoulders. In my experience, the harness usually becomes harder to get over/keep on the shoulders. I usually recommend that the straps can be moved up as long as the gap between shoulder and harness is small - you don't want the harness in slots at the child's ears or chin.

If you're still concerned, move 1 strap up and buckle DD into her seat. Take a close up of each side to see where the straps are in relationship to her shoulder and post.

DMS721

My other thought is both of my boys started getting super fussy in their bucket car seat around 6 months or so. By that point they didn't want to be at such a recline. Even thought they still had tons of room to grow in the infant seat it was around that time we moved them to convertibles. They both were much happier.

missrebel

Hmm...I could see the angle of the seat being the issue. DD has always been the kind of kid that wants to sit so she can see what's going on around her from the beginning. She hated when we had the cover over the handle of the infant seat. I'm already planning to talk to DH about getting her a convertible for Christmas (she won't remember if she got anything fun or boring right lol). I'd like to get a radian since DH and I are both tall and it appears she will be too (she does still have room from her heat to top of the infant seat).

I'll be a little sad to see the infant seat put away though because as soon as it is vacant DH will be wanting to know when we can try for #2 and I'm not ready for that yet!

missrebel

Well, put the infant seat in HIS car, then it isn't vacant.

Lol...that is an idea.

Actually DH drives a 99 F150 extended cab and the install SUCKS at best in his truck!!! DD has ridden in his truck maybe two or three times...all when something came up and there wasn't another choice. The center front and passenger seats are attached so they both have to be moved as far forward as possible for the carseat to fit in the center rear seat. That means if there are any other passengers they have to sit in the rear passenger side. I would love to trade his truck in for a wagon to be a daily driver for DD and I so DH could have my truck for his daily driver (we have 3 dogs so the cargo space of an SUV with the gas mileage of a car would be ideal for the family car). Unfortunately that stupid truck is our one paid off vehicle and it won't flippin die!!! :(

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The center, in the front, does the seat fold down, to act as an armrest? Mine does in my 98 ram.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, looked for pics. Is this it?

2000_ford_ranger_2_dr_xlt_4wd_extended_cab_stepside_sb-pic-7592719401568264178.jpeg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC