Just found out my sister came home from the hospital in a cardboard box!

griffinej5

I was born in 85, and my sister in 84. There is a picture of one of us in an infant seat carrier type thing, so we had something. 6 years later in 91 my next sister got the nice fisher price infant bucket. I remember being in the front seat when I was 4-5. I remember one specific incident, because I was 4 or 5, not sure which because my older sister went to K twice, but I think I would have been 4. I was with my mom, and we were getting pizza at the local Pizza Hut that we were bringing to a friend's house, and my sister was taking the bus to their house from school instead of walking home. She left me in the car while she went in to get the pizza. She told me I could touch the radio, which was a big deal. I didn't actually know what controlled the radio, and put the car into reverse. Another lady ran in and yelled that someone's car with a little kid in it was rolling backwards.

ADS

bubbaray

I don't know about coming home from the hospital, but I have a picture of me FFg in a car seat and it was the decade before the 70s. I keep meaning to scan and post it. The car seat was red and it hooked over the front seat of the vehicle.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I had a car seat (1984) but didn't use it on the way home from the hospital or as an infant because it "wasn't safe" according to my parents. My mom said it was a "super fancy" brand (who knows? bobby Mac maybe?) My dad was horrified when we had DD because he couldn't understand how strapping her 3 day old self into a car seat was safer than holding her for the ride home. He brought it up no less than 6 times, truly concerned :scratcheshead:

Swmnmom

I was born in 1983. Both my parents were stationed in Hawaii when I was born. You had to have a car seat for infants to drive on base at the time, so my Mom and Grandma would lay me on the floor on a blanket between the passengers feet to get onto base (aka hide me). After they got through the gate they would pick me back up. They found it inconvenient so they bought the cheapest seat they could get in Hawaii at the time when I was a couple months old. They never used it except to get on base though. My younger sister didn't have a seat (1987) but we moved to Berlin, Germany shortly after she was born. We did sit in a booster seat for a long time though so we wouldn't complain about not being able to see.

Ninetales

I had one in '82. My mom is adamant that it was a law and she remembers going to Burlington Coat Factory and ordering it. I may have a picture somewhere.

I assume my younger sisters used the same one at birth but I don't remember explicitly. I do remember my youngest sister's overhead shield Fisher Price seat. I know none of us did boosters.

We did all the classic safety gaffes: riding in the beds of pickups (open and closed), way back of the station wagon, no seatbelts, sharing seatbelts, little kids up front, etc.

kaylamom

Born in 1973-I was in an infant seat, not an infant car seat. Then placed FF in Cosco Peterson car seat at six months or so. :). Then a plastic booster seat that you would thread the lap belt through. Yikes!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC