Jetta Sportwagen - 3 Across Configuration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach Knockers

I have a 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen. I'm newly pregnant and freaked out about managing this set-up.

I have a daughter who will be newly 4 in a Diono RXT. My son will be 8 and is in a Frontier 85 or HB turbobooster, but I could change that, as needed.

Plus newborn.

What configurations should I try first? Do not have preference on bucket/conv't.
I had Marathon for son and keyfit for daughter.

I'm
Open to suggestions. I know a couple people here already have/had JSWs, so you might already know just what works!

Thanks, everyone!!!!

(ETA: See update below in Message #14)

Last edited:
ADS

Brianna

Bumping for you.

Do you have any other seats in other vehicles that you could play musical car seats with?

Will the Radian be RF or FF?

Mach Knockers

Thanks, Brianna!!

I have: Radian, Frontier 85, Nautilus, HB turbo booster, and backless turbo booster. Smashed the expired marathons and boulevard. Gave away Keyfit (long distance.)

I can borrow a SK Radian from a friend an hour away to test. An hour and half has stores that let you test fit, but they have poor selections.

Dd is tall. She is ff this month, b/c she gets terribly carsick and we took a 4200 mile road trip. normally, she rf. in 8 months???? I don't know. I'd prob prefer she ff at that point, for her comfort and front passenger leg room. But she could technically still rf, I /think/. Depends how she grows.

Mach Knockers

Anyone else? I'm trying to figure out if I'll have to sell my beloved TDI for something else, or if I can make this work.

I know there was someone here who worked out a few 3 across configs, but I can't seem to track down those posts now, so I can't PM her. Also, maybe they were two boosters and a conv't, I don't recall for sure.

Brianna

Sorry, I don't have much hands on puzzling experience. I'm hoping another bump might get you some answers :)

laurenandalex

I'm not a tech and I haven't done a ton of different combos, but I share your love of the TDI.

I did a shaky three across (I say shaky as I wouldn't want it for everyday use and did it quickly in a pinch) with RF RN XTSL, RF Classic MA, baseless KF.

That said, I would think there would a number of possible 3 across configurations. As you know the FR 85 is wide in the Jetta. But with 2 RN in mix, I would think you could include it. Especially if RF RN were center.

Mach Knockers

I'm going to go WAAAAAAY out on a limb here and say that if the new baby's seat could be a bucket with two bases that would work in both my 01 Jetta (three across, too) AND in my 2012 sportwagen, I'd be in absolute heaven. But, yeah...that's majorly wishful thinking, I think.

It's awesome to see so many TDI freaks on here. Lauren (Alex?), do you guys know about tdiclub.com? It's a fantastic site for info, tweaks, advice, etc. I've been on there for years and find myself sending lots of them here for advice.

lanwenyi

OP sent me a PM about this and I replied. Here is the text of my response:
(Can't believe I missed this thread, I usually keep an eye out for the Jetta threads!)

lanwenyi said:
You're going to have a hard time, but it is doable. I have a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. I don't often have to do a 3-across and I do not have a Frontier 85 avail to try out. However, when I put a rfing Radian in the center and a rfing Britax outboard, I have a TON of space in that 3rd position. It comfortably fits my parents (both very-overweight) or my niece's Maestro with room to spare. I've never tried an infant seat in this car. I had a Mico before and I think it would fit in place of the Britax.

Do not move your older child to a booster. Buckling a booster will be near impossible in the 3-across. You don't want to do it until you HAVE to.

Which direction is your 3-4yo facing? You do NOT want a Radian at a newborn angle in this car. Even in the center, it will affect the front seats' space.

Multiple carseats are cheaper than a new car, so my recs would be:
If your 3-4yo is rfing in a radian:
move the Radian to the center and try to install the Frontier 85 next to it. You'll need to use the seatbelt instead of LATCH for the extra room.
Go to BRU or BBB and try infant seats in that 3rd spot. If none of them fit, try a Britax Seat or the MyRide, one of those should fit.

If your 3-4yo is ffing in the Radian:
Move the FFing Radian to the center and install the Frontier 85 next to it.
Go to BRU or BBB and try infant seats in that 3rd spot. If none of them fit, try a Britax or MyRide. If they don't fit, try a Coccoro (if at BBB or purchase online from a place with free returns and try it in your car). When your 3-4yo outgrows the Radian OR the baby outgrows the rfing Coccoro, give baby the Radian (rfing) and buy a Maestro for the middle child (if oldest still fits in the Frontier's harness, otherwise pass down the Frontier).

If all else fails, put your 8yo in a hbb, put the Radian in the center and get a Coccoro. That combo is narrow and will definitely fit, but you'll have to bite your tongue to prevent "adult language" every time you buckle your oldest in! lol

If you get a Britax for the baby, make sure you get one of the "next gen" ones. The "classic" britax seats will not fit a newborn.

Clear as mud? I can give you more precise recs if I know your kids' height, weight, seated shoulder height, and which direction they're facing.

The only things I'd add:
-install all seats with the seatbelt (gives you a little extra room)
-if absolutely no combos fit with the Frontier 85, you can see if the oldest still fits in a SecureKid (it's more narrow)
-I've been told that a rfing Britax seat puzzles well with a Frontier 85 (never tried it myself), so you could try a rfing Britax in the middle w/ the Frontier 85 on one side and a FFing Radian, FFing Complete Air, FFing Maestro, or FFing SK300/400 on the other.
-you could also try moving your middle child to a SF Go Hybrid in the middle, FR85 on one side and rfing infant seat, Cocorro, or Britax on the other side.
-If you choose a cocorro, keep the radian. When baby outgrows the cocorro rfing, you can put the radian rfing w/ the angle adjuster, and then it fits in the car fine.

Mach Knockers

Let's assume we will have DD forward facing by February. She may or may not fit RF still, but she would be big enough that I would be comfortable with her FF, considering her constant car sickness. (We have been using the angle adjuster, Sea Bands, and ginger suckers to combat that, with only about 60% success, whereas FF gets us about 90% success.)

Baby isn't due until end Jan/early Feb. but currently the kids are currently as follows:
DD: 29" lbs, 37" inches tall, 13" seated shoulder height, 3 yrs and 3 months.
DS: 51" lbs, 49" inches tall, 17" seated shoulder height, 7 yrs and 5 months.

Running out the door...sorry this is brief.

lanwenyi

Given those stats, I'd turn the middle child ffing before the baby comes.

My first choice is still the combo of Frontier 85, FFing Radian, and rfing Britax/MyRide/infantseat (whichever fits best). Install the FFing Radian in the center first. Then install the Frontier 85 next to it. Remove the Radian and see if the Frontier is independently tight. After that, go to BRU/BBB/specialty baby stores and try the Britax seats, the MyRide, and any infant seat that interests you until you find one that fits.

If that doesnt work for you OR you absolutely want an infant seat, I'd rec putting your middle child FFing in a Go (center), leaving your oldest harnessed in the Frontier 85 and putting an infant seat outboard (replaced by rfing radian w/ angle adjuster after the infant seat is outgrown). You would still need to do seatbelt installs for all of them to get it all to fit.

In any case, you have time (I wouldn't purchase now). There are combos that work. It will just take some time to figure it all out. If you remind me in a few weeks (July-ish), I can go to BRU and try the Frontier in my car w/ a FFing Radian and rfing classic Britax (I don't have a next gen) and report back.

GL

Mach Knockers

Okay...I got the Radian in FF center, and the Frontier in behind the passenger seat. I took a bunch of pics before I remembered to check if it's independently tight.
*sigh* It wasn't.

Looks like I'll have to wait for DH to get home and use his car seat snazziness to try to tighten it up more. He's a whiz with that, he may be able to get it tight. I've worked up such a sweat already in this heat! Yikes!

Anyway, thank you SO much for the million suggestions...it really helps me know where to start. I don't plan to buy a seat until December or January, but I want to know what I'm going to be using, so that I can watch for sales. AND, if I can't find a set up that works AND that I'm happy with, I want to have plenty of time to sell and car shop.

We race BMX several days a week and when we go, the roof rack is covered in four bikes, and the hatch area is FULL of tools, four gear bags, cooler, and my three year old's race bike. There's a purse and some random things at the passenger's feet, there is a bag in one rear footwell and the stepstool in the other rear footwell. On race nights, I have no clue where I'll add a diaper bag to the mix even. LOL

I desperately want to keep her, but she may not work out. :-( So, I want to sort out the car seats asap so that I know what path to take. (Of course, another option for the race nights is a very small box trailer...that would be cool.) :)

Mach Knockers

Still waiting on DH to get back to try his had at the Frontier next to the Radian. He comes home late tonight, so maybe in the morning.

I can get the HB turbobooster in next to the Radian. It's a b!tch to buckle...really, it's the worst I have ever tried. But, it's doable and works well, once it has been situated properly. I took this set up to TRU and tried a Keyfit 30 next to it. There is a TON of room for the Keyfit next to the Radian. It pushed my seat 2 clicks forward of where I drive (5'9", so 6'2" DH probably won't be able to drive it like that.) So, I still want to try a Cocorro or other seats to see what give me more leg room.

Now, back to that pesky Frontier. lanwenyi, I may take you up on your offer to try a Radian/Frontier install. If DH can't get it, or we aren't comfortable with it, I'll ask you to, if you don't mind. That way, we'll know from someone else who is super familiar with the car.

So, if push came to shove and you were FORCED to buy a car for three across or with a third row, lanwenyi, what would you sacrifice your JSW for? I looked into the used diesel Mercedes Benz R320 and R350 diesels. With the third row up, there is only enough storage space for about four or five grocery bags. Looked into the new Sienna and Ody. Outfitted nicely, they're $45k+. My price range is about $30k. Used or new...preferably used so as to get "more car."

Mach Knockers

Okay, big update!

I took DH out to the car this morning. We installed the Radian in the center. We installed the Frontier behind the driver. We uninstalled the Radian. The Frontier was still ROCK solid.

We reinstalled the set up and went to TRU. We installed the Keyfit 30. It had less room than it did with the hb Turbobooster and the Radian, but it still fit well.

So, there you have it. A Britax Frontier 85, a FF Diono Radian RXT and a Chicco Keyfit 30 fit three across the back of a 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen. YAY!!!!!!!!!

I snapped two photos while the TRU guy baked in the Texas sun. I'll post those soon.

Mach Knockers

Thank you! I'm so relieved and so thrilled!

Here's the photo from the driver's side. In the end, I'll probably switch the Frontier and KeyFit to make it easier to buckle baby when I'm alone.
image-1347643728.jpg

There photo from the other side won't upload from the app. It's says it too large. :-/

lanwenyi

Awesome! I'm so glad u found a combo that works.

BTW, will you be able to fit that infant seat behind the driver comfortably? We never could fit anything except the Britax or TF rfing behind the driver in the Jetta and still drive and we don't have the seat back nearly as far as I suspect you do (DH and I are short). In our cars (all of them, not just the Jetta, where we currently have 2 rfing kiddos), we put the FFing child behind the driver and the rfing child behind the passenger unless the rfing child is in one of the few seats that works behind the driver in that car.

mdsvc89

FWIW, I've always liked having the littlest in the rear passenger side, because I have better view (with mirror) diagonally than straight back, and I can hand snacks/bottles/whatever when they're a little older more easily diagonally than straight back :)

Glad you won't have to give up your beloved car!

Mach Knockers

I am not sure, lanwenyi. I only had to move the passenger seat up approximately two clicks to get the Keyfit in. I didn't see how comfortable DH was in the passenger seat with it slightly forward, since it was a small difference, but will check that later. I'm also kind of still hoping to find a Cocorro to try out. I am not a big fan of buckets, generally. But, if I can make the bucket also work as part of a three across in my 2001 Jetta, (and obviously, it will work great in my F-250, it would be cheaper to have three bases and one bucket than to have three separate car seats. So, I'm a little iffy between seats still...if anything other than the Keyfit fits, that is.

As for seeing them catty corner, I agree, though we don't do bottles and we don't eat in the car. The big kids have water bottles, but they live on the floor to minimize the projectile-factor.

In another note, my very car sick three year old has asked me to return her to rearfacing, because she hates having her legs dangle. :) But, that may not still hold true next year. We'll just have to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC