Question ISO convertible seat for 2005 matrix (second car)

growstudios

Looking for a solid seat for my husband's car (2005 Matrix). Our DS just turned 2 and is a skinny 33" tall. He will ride in the Matrix a couple times per week and sometimes on the weekends.

Our primary ride is my 2007 Element, where he rides RF behind me in his Radian RXT. I love that DS can climb into the RXT, even if the slim sides make me nervous.

What is a good choice for a second convertible? Hoping not to break the bank, but he will ride somewhat regularly in the Matrix, so safety is first.

I love the ratings of the boulevard or pavilion but not necessarily the prices. Can we put him in the center of the matrix for added safety?

Of note: we hope to be pregnant with #2 later this year. (DS's old Keyfit 30 standing by) so something compatible for fit with that.

Thanks for your help!
Sandra

ADS

mrosehughes

I don't have experience with the matrix, but we have a corolla and prius and I'll bet their interiors are very similar to the matrix. Since your DS is tall and skinny, then one of the higher-shell seats would let you keep him RFing for the longest time. We've had good luck with our complete air and our radian in both cars; both install well in both cars. Toyota does not allow anything to touch either seatback, so that may restrict you a bit (for the radian in the prius, I need an angle adjuster, but I don't need one in the corolla). You might also look at the graco my size 70/headwise, but I can't comment on how it will install in the matrix.

Mamasboys

I have the clone of your Matrix (2005 Pontiac Vibe). Three options that definitely work are the Britax RA55, Cosco Scenera 40RF and Cosco Apt. They all RF to 40lbs and are a little shorter in shell height. The shorter shells make more less front to back space eaten up, but can limit RF time (but you've got a shorter little peanut, that may not matter).

Those seats I mentioned range from around $55 to $160. Even a regular 35lbRF Scenera at $39 would be a good option, if DS is quite a lightweight. That was my primary, and now backup, for a long time (boy just hit the RF limits a few months ago). It's no frills, but just as safe as the others.

growstudios

Thank you both. I have another question about the complete air. I read some reviews that said you have to use a rolled towel or pool noodle when RF to get the correct angle?

Is that true? Doesn't that make the good install-ability a little sketchy if so?

Thanks!

growstudios

Also, I have read good things on here about the complete air and the cosco scenera. What are the features that made you each choose that seat over others?

I researched seats so hard a while ago before we got my radian RXT and now I can't remember hardly any if my research on other seats. Thank you so much.

Mamasboys

Thank you both. I have another question about the complete air. I read some reviews that said you have to use a rolled towel or pool noodle when RF to get the correct angle?

Is that true? Doesn't that make the good install-ability a little sketchy if so?

Thanks!

Not at all. Correct angle (with a solid install) is critical. A RF that is too upright (ex. my Scenera requires 45 degrees, period) is unsafe. I like a rolled beach towel (folded, rolled tight, and tied w/ string) for the Scenera since it seems to conform to the contours under the shell. I like a piece of pool noodle for the Britax (flat base underneath) for using in very sloped vehicle seats.

Also, I have read good things on here about the complete air and the cosco scenera. What are the features that made you each choose that seat over others?

I researched seats so hard a while ago before we got my radian RXT and now I can't remember hardly any if my research on other seats. Thank you so much.

I choose the Scenera for YDS when he was 3 mo old, when every.single.penny mattered back then. Many sub $50 seats then still had 30lb RF limits or very short shells, and I wanted 35lb, and a shot at ERF on our very limited budget. The CA was *just* released then, and too pricey to even look at, so I have no experience with it.

At 33" tall at 2 years old, I wouldn't consider your little one particularly tall. If he's not too long in the torso, a CA or RXT may not even be needed for an occasionally used car. I only suggested Scenera and RA55 based on what I have experience with, and what I know for sure fits in a Matrix/Vibe. And not knowing your budget, I thought I'd throw out seats from $ to $$$, KWIM?

All great questions, let us know if we can help in any other way!

jgomez411

If you are planning on rearfacing for a while longer, I would skip the Scenera. My DD outgrew the OnsideAir (a padded Scenera) rf right around 2 at 34" and that seat even has a 40 pound weight limit. I'm not familiar with your car but have you looked at a Myride 65? We were able to fit one in the center of my husband's Civic and it fit nicely in the center. Plus, it's a super easy seat to install and no pool noodles required.

Mamasboys

If you are planning on rearfacing for a while longer, I would skip the Scenera. My DD outgrew the OnsideAir (a padded Scenera) rf right around 2 at 34" and that seat even has a 40 pound weight limit. I'm not familiar with your car but have you looked at a Myride 65? We were able to fit one in the center of my husband's Civic and it fit nicely in the center. Plus, it's a super easy seat to install and no pool noodles required.

With everyone's input on the Scenera/Dorel clones, I'm beginning to think I've got one of those crazy short-torso kids, lol! Not a bad thing with ERF the goal. Good to know the MyRide fits in a shallow back seat, too. Lots of good recommendations for OP. Whichever has the tallest shell above DS head and at the price you like among those will be a best bet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC