Question Is Maestro a good choice for this situation?

prosan98

My in-laws live in NJ (we're in Chicago) and we visit 2-3 times per year. My son is turning 5 next month, and is 40lbs and 42in. He was in an Evenflo Chase (not my purchase) in their car, and has now outgrown the harness. I know that the Chase does not work well as a highback booster. Given his size, I'd also prefer to keep him harnessed a bit longer.

I keep reading that the Maestro is outgrown as a booster at the same time as the harness. But it says it's for kids up to 57in tall. I think we have at least 3 years before my son is 57in tall, at which point he'd be 8, and I'd be totally fine with him in a cheaper backless booster. I know torso height is more important than actual height, but he doesn't have a particularly long torso.

So would the Maestro be a good next seat for a car where it's used maybe 6 weeks out of the year?

Thank you!

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
It's probably a good choice. I'd sit him down in one to see how much growing room he has, and decide from there.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
What seat does he ride in at home? How does he fit? It will give us an idea on his size.

Do you fly there? Do you use a seat on the plane?

Our ds would have outgrown the maestro by height before 50#, but he has a long torso. Then he would have fit for a little while in booster mode. It all depends on the kid. I know it says 57", but our 50" ds would not fit in booster mode now. That's just a guide, so if he has a long torso it won't last a long. If he has long legs it will last longer.

prosan98

He is in a Frontier in my car and a Nautilus in my husband's car. I think he's on the 2nd level of harness straps in the Frontier and the 2nd from the top in the Nautilus, but I'd have to look to be sure.

We do fly there and we do not use a seat on the plane. We used the CARES harness till recently.

This seat would remain with my in-laws and only be used when we're in their car. Even if we only got to 50in, he'd likely be 7 by then, so I'd be okay with switching to a backless booster. I think we will pull the trigger on this. Thank you!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC