Installing 3 frontiers in a Honda Pilot+ booster question

Twins+One

Hello.
How would you put 3 Britax Frontiers in a 2012 Honda Pilot?
Here's the back story: We have a Sienna, which we love, but DH commutes to a job in another city and now that our second car, a 98 oldsmobile, is about to go kaput, we're looking at buying him a 4WD SUV that can also transport our three kids. All three of our kids (a 5 year old and twin almost-3 year olds) are in Frontiers. My kids are off-the-charts tall, and all of their height is in their torsos, so the higher seated shoulder height in the Frontier allows us to keep them in a 5pt harness longer. We're leaning toward a Honda Pilot. We like the tether anchor positions, among other things. When DH was at the dealer on Sunday, he figured out that putting two Frontiers next to each other in the 3rd row and one in the 40 portion of the 60/40 split second row worked well because sliding the 60 portion forward gave nice access to the third row for tightening harnesses. But he forgot one thing: that would mean we'd routinely be loading our kids on the street side. And while we do have a driveway, our school drop-offs involve street parking. So that made me wonder. Have any of you put two Frontiers or other similarly large seats in the 3rd row of a Honda Pilot and been able to tighten harnesses by moving only the 40 seat forward? If we did this, one of my 3 year-olds' seats would be on the 60 portion of the 2nd row. DH tried putting two Frontiers on the 60 portion and of the second row and said they wouldn't fit. What would you do?
A couple more questions: Right now DD, who is 50 inches tall and 60 lbs, still uses the 5 pt harness, but she is about a quarter inch away from outgrowing the top harness spot, so we will have to convert her seat to booster mode very soon. She will need help buckling the seat belt when that time comes. How hard is it to buckle a seatbelt in the far side of the 3rd row of a Pilot with the 40part of the 2nd row slid forward? Also, only one seat in the 3rd row has lower anchors. This isn't of concern for us now because DD is above the lower anchor weight limit so we do a seat-belt install with her seat now. But when she's in booster mode, Britax recommends using latch to keep the seat in place. Has anyone used a Frontier without holding it place with LATCH? If so, does the seat slide around as the child is getting into it?
Lastly, if we were to decide that it's time to convert her to a booster, is there a booster for a long-torsoed child with side-impact protection that you like better than the Frontier? I like the Frontier a lot but the arm rests will make it difficult for her to climb across the third row with her brother's seat nearby.
Many thanks in advance for all of your great advice!
Trish

ADS

canadiangie

I would put your oldest in the 2nd row, behind the driver. This gives you lower anchors for when she's in a booster, and easy access to buckling her even from the passenger side. I doubt a Frontier will work in the 3rd row latch position when in booster mode because the wide base of the Frontier will sit on top of the buckle stalk which is fixed and angled slightly inwards.

Put the 3 yo's Frontiers in the 3rd row.

You will have plenty of space to buckle and tighten the 3rd row kids with the 2nd row 40 portion slid forward. (assuming you are average in size :)).

Twins+One

Thanks! I didn't realize that the Pilot's 3rd-row buckle stalk will interfere with the seat in booster mode. Is it still possible to get a good install on a Frontier85 in the harness mode in the third row? I'd need the seat belts to install at least one of the two seats in the third row. I'm wondering if the rigid buckle stalk would interfere with that. If not, do you recommend the long or short belt path for the Frontier relying on the seat belt (rather than LATCH)? Is there another high-back booster with side wings and head protection that's narrower than the Frontier85? Thanks again for sharing your insights!

petriescz

I have a 2010 Pilot and a Frontier and can install in the third row in harness mode with seatbelt in both outboard positions and with LATCH in the third row passenger side. You could do two harnessed frontiers in the third row outboard. Put the latched booster or harnessed frontier behind the driver. That way you could flip the second row to load the kiddos. The second row also slides forward, like you would a front seat, with the seats installed so you could easilly tighten the third row harness from the drivers side.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC