Infant and convertible - which seat in which position?

randomdad

Thanks to all who helped with the infant seat decision. Now I have another question, and since it's a different topic, I thought a new thread made sense.

We've got a newborn, so we just got an infant seat, and our older child is using a convertible front facing. I have not installed the infant seat yet. The convertible is currently on the passenger side. I am inclined to swap the convertible over to the driver's side, and put the infant seat on the passenger side. My logic is that it would maximize driver's seat room, and gives my wife a bit of a view of the infant seat. Not sure if seat room will actually be an issue though, if not then I have no strong driver to choose either configuration.

Maybe it's better to have an infant behind the driver instead of a potentially more distracting toddler (kicking, screaming etc.)? Though infants could be screaming too. Is it better to have a view of the toddler on the passenger side since they can do more? Is it safer strapping in/taking out one over the other on the driver's side when parallel parking in the street (clicking an infant seat in/out would be quicker)? These are just my random thoughts on what possible factors to consider. I tend to overthink things sometimes, so maybe that's the case here.

What factors do you guys consider when choosing a configuration for 2 seats?

ADS

CMeMeC

Thanks to all who helped with the infant seat decision. Now I have another question, and since it's a different topic, I thought a new thread made sense.

We've got a newborn, so we just got an infant seat, and our older child is using a convertible front facing. I have not installed the infant seat yet. The convertible is currently on the passenger side. I am inclined to swap the convertible over to the driver's side, and put the infant seat on the passenger side. My logic is that it would maximize driver's seat room, and gives my wife a bit of a view of the infant seat. Not sure if seat room will actually be an issue though, if not then I have no strong driver to choose either configuration.

Maybe it's better to have an infant behind the driver instead of a potentially more distracting toddler (kicking, screaming etc.)? Though infants could be screaming too. Is it better to have a view of the toddler on the passenger side since they can do more? Is it safer strapping in/taking out one over the other on the driver's side when parallel parking in the street? These are just my random tophats on what possible factors to consider. I tend to overthink things sometimes, so maybe that's the case here.

What factors do you guys consider when choosing a configuration for 2 seats?

My seats move around so much, I don't think it through. My deciding factors have been based on top tether locations and what fits and leaves access to the third row. Also which kid can sit by which kid with tormenting each other to the point of me going nuts. Anyway, in your case, I don't think it matters. Putting the toddler behind the driver will probably give the driver more room, so that might be the way to go and when parking in the street you could reach back and unbuckle the toddler and then unload both curbside. You should not be watching your backseat while driving, so stop that!

Beloved

I have my rear-facer behind the driver and my forward-facer on passenger side. I find I can talk to him better that way. Also, it is easier to have older child climb in driver's side then put in the infant seat. If the rear-facing seat fits behind driver that is what I would do.

bnsnyde

This is a good problem to have. It never crossed my mind though! Maybe it did when we had a newborn and older child. I remember putting the infant outboard (any side) and the toddler in the middle (safest seat). This wouldn't work though if older child pokes newborn.

I THINK (?) we did infant behind passenger because dad is 6'4" so needs room.

I think either way is fine. Whatever you prefer. We just configured 6 seats and to my dismay a lot of factors that were important to me simply couldn't go into the equation. It came down to what seats fit (and if the kids fit in them).

Things like siblings poking...still happens but they are 7 and 8 so not as fragile as a newborn!

Dillipop

I do whatever is easiest. I like having my harnessed kids behind the driver because then I don't have to go around to the other side to get them out. But I have ffing and booster kids right now.

When this new baby comes, he will be in the center of the center row because our parking lot has ridiculously tiny parking spots and I want to be able to remove the infant seat from either side if for some reason one side is clear and the other side has a car parked too close. If I didn't have the parking lot issue, baby would likely be behind the driver, since he'd be in the car more often than any of my other kids, so it would be easiest for me to get him out on my side.

If you do a lot of city parallel parking, having the infant seat on the driver side is likely quicker and easier to get a kid in and out while dealing with traffic. If you are mostly doing suburban parking lots, then it wouldn't matter too much.

I think it really just comes down to personal preference.

randomdad

I did a test fit today, and the infant seat fits fine behind the driver's seat. So that's cool, but now I have no real strong driver for doing it on either side, so I/we are undecided. We haven't spent much time thinking about it since we have a 2 day old infant. I'll probably just do infant behind the driver to take her home, because it's there from the test fit, so why bother adding another task before getting the baby home.

I'll see how we like that configuration, and think about it more. I'm definitely still open to feedback in the meantime. All thoughts are appreciated.

oakster

Does your older child get in and out by himself? That's the reason we have our preschooler on the passenger side--puts him on the street side so I can unbuckle him and he can get out while I go around and get the baby. That's worked well for us. Congrats on the new baby!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC