I hate carseat shopping, or, help me pick a convertible, please.

amreb

Spent literally HOURS researching convertible carseats as DD (now 10mo) approaches the end of her bucket seat. I had finally decided on the newly released Evenflo Platinum Triumph and was very excited about the "performance" fabric that is supposed to keep them from overheating (because DD runs hot, cries a lot in the car, and then gets even hotter), plus the infinite slide harness height, and the harness tightening knobs (instead of the typical pull strap).

Well, we installed it last night, and I discovered when I put her in it for the first time this morning (already running late for work) that I HATE it. The knobs especially, as they are near-impossible to get tight enough--they mash into the seat back making it impossible to grip them, but even with the seat reclined out of the way--which messes with the install--they are still REALLY hard to tighten, and I am not a wimp! I could take or leave the infinite slide height adjustment, although I suppose I'd feel better if I was more confident in the harness tightness, as from what I've read, that's critical to getting the height secure as well. Plus I only learned after the fact that Evenflo specifically disallows harness pads with these harnesses.

Soooo.... the seat is going back, and I have to pick a new one. I really wanted to keep it under $200, but I'm not sure that'll happen. Now looking at these three:

Evenflo Platinum Symphony LX, $220 (only one with the same performance fabric, but it also has the same infinite harness I'm not crazy about)
Britax Marathon G4, $230
First Years True Fit SI, $170 (but I have read reviews that harness is hard to tighten in RF, which would reeeeally annoy me)

DD is 10mo and tiny, ~15% for both height and weight. Not sure exact current weight/height. Carseat will be going into a Mazda 5, in one of the middle row captains chairs (have to be outboard, no center seat). DH and I are short too, don't need much legroom, so a big seat is not a problem. It will stay in the car basically all the time so it doesn't need to be light or super quick to uninstall/reinstall.

I think I'm leaning toward the True Fit, but I'm half tempted to order them all and return the ones I don't like. Suggestions? Thanks.

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Over budget, but the Peg Perego convertible would get you the features you want and offers and accessory Clima cover that would work for your overheating child.

Love, love ours. I like it better than the Marathon I had.

sunnydayz

I would check out the Peg convertible or the Chicco Nextfit. Both accommodate taller children well and would last a long time rear-facing and forward- facing.

D&L's-mommy

I wanted to add that most (if not all) prohibit use of after market accessories, such as harness pads. If harness pads are a must have feature make sure they come with the seat, otherwise you should not be using them, they can interfere with proper harness fit, and have not been crash tested to work appropriately

amreb

Thanks, but both the Peg Perego and the Chicco are way out of our price range--even $220/230 is more than we wanted to spent. Also, my daughter is not tall, nor is ever likely to be.

Regarding harness pads, both the marathon and the true fit come with them. The symphony does not (and as you said, they cannot be used), so it still is another point of consideration.

Any thoughts on the three seats I mentioned, or others at or below their price?

BrittanyM

Doesn't that True Fit come with the rebound bar? I have a regular TF and a TF Premier and the premier is much better rear facing due to the rebound bar leaving a space for the tightening strap. We love our TF's!

MommyShannon

The Symphony has a 37" RF limit which is shorter than when most kids outgrow Britax seats. The TF is nice, just really wide and only 35lbs RF. I tighten it by pulling the harness straps from behind the seat first. For a small child, I'd likely get the Britax or a Chicco NextFit on a good sale.

amreb

Thanks again. Yes, the True Fit SI has the rebound bar; good to know it helps with the harness strap. And someone shared a coupon with me that brings the Chicco Nextfit down to $220, so that's back in the running.

I have a Britax roundabout 55 from our older child (which DD will be using in our other car) and I'm just not in love with it, so I hesitate to get the Marathon. Just not sure it's worth the money.

The TF weight limit doesn't concern me. Our FOUR year old is barely 30lbs, and 10mo DD has a similar growth curve, so I have trouble imagining she will reach 35lbs before we are ready to turn her (prob closer to 3 if I get my way).

The TF width also doesn't concern me, as it will be installed in a captain's chair.

So--I think it's down to the Chicco and the True Fit. Is either seat known for being "hot"? Is the Chicco really worth $50+ more, and if so, why? We already had to buy two new seats for our older child so I really want to keep the price down if possible.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'd consider a Roundabout G4.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F9Q3FPC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1397158921&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40"]Britax Roundabout G4 Convertible Car Seat, Onyx:Amazon:Baby[/ame]

It's less expensive than the Marathon and has most of the same features. I LOVE ours and wish I got to use it more (it's in my in-laws' car). We bought ours on sale for $140, but for $160, it's a great deal (it's the same price at Target too -- so if you have a REDCard then it's 5% off, too).

I think if you don't need a tall height, it's the perfect seat. My favorite thing about tightening the harness (which you can only do because it is a re-thread harness, unlike the Marathon) is that you can easily pull the slack from the back of the seat and use gravity to your advantage.

Love, love, love it. And I actually find it easier to install than the Nextfit -- I didn't even know that was possible.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Thanks again. Yes, the True Fit SI has the rebound bar; good to know it helps with the harness strap. And someone shared a coupon with me that brings the Chicco Nextfit down to $220, so that's back in the running.

I have a Britax roundabout 55 from our older child (which DD will be using in our other car) and I'm just not in love with it, so I hesitate to get the Marathon. Just not sure it's worth the money.

The TF weight limit doesn't concern me. Our FOUR year old is barely 30lbs, and 10mo DD has a similar growth curve, so I have trouble imagining she will reach 35lbs before we are ready to turn her (prob closer to 3 if I get my way).

The TF width also doesn't concern me, as it will be installed in a captain's chair.

So--I think it's down to the Chicco and the True Fit. Is either seat known for being "hot"? Is the Chicco really worth $50+ more, and if so, why? We already had to buy two new seats for our older child so I really want to keep the price down if possible.

We wrote our posts at the same time. Sorry you didn't like your Roundabout!

I also love our Nextfit, but can't compare it to the True Fit because I don't have experience with that seat.

meljc

I really hate our True Fit Premier. PM me if you live in SoCal ;-) The harness is too hard for DH and I to adjust and installation is a pain compared to other seats. Just last week or the week before, I consecutively installed the TFP and the Nextfit to try out some puzzling and was reminded of why I hate the TFP so much.

I really like our Symphony DLX and just wish it didn't have the standing height limit. DS is 30th percentile at 2.5yo and still has ~2" left, but he might outgrow it around 3-3.25yo. Since he's leggy, he still has tons of room left before the 1" rule, but alas. Since your kid is even smaller, there's a chance this seat could get you to a good FF age. It's not too big front-to-back. But installation and harness adjustment are extremely easy. This is my favorite seat to have the babysitter or grandparents use.

As I just posted in another thread, I love our Nextfit and just bought a second one. Installation with both seatbelt and LATCH is super easy, harness adjusts easily, relatively compact for how much time it gives you RF. I got this for ~$160+tax during the recent target deal. I think it's around $180+tax now, you just need to look through cartwheel and the separate baby coupons to make sure you find all of the relevant deals. Slickdeals should help you. The Nextfit is also so tall that your older child can use it if need be.

amreb

I really hate our True Fit Premier. PM me if you live in SoCal ;-) The harness is too hard for DH and I to adjust and installation is a pain compared to other seats. Just last week or the week before, I consecutively installed the TFP and the Nextfit to try out some puzzling and was reminded of why I hate the TFP so much.

I really like our Symphony DLX and just wish it didn't have the standing height limit. DS is 30th percentile at 2.5yo and still has ~2" left, but he might outgrow it around 3-3.25yo. Since he's leggy, he still has tons of room left before the 1" rule, but alas. Since your kid is even smaller, there's a chance this seat could get you to a good FF age. It's not too big front-to-back. But installation and harness adjustment are extremely easy. This is my favorite seat to have the babysitter or grandparents use.

As I just posted in another thread, I love our Nextfit and just bought a second one. Installation with both seatbelt and LATCH is super easy, harness adjusts easily, relatively compact for how much time it gives you RF. I got this for ~$160+tax during the recent target deal. I think it's around $180+tax now, you just need to look through cartwheel and the separate baby coupons to make sure you find all of the relevant deals. Slickdeals should help you. The Nextfit is also so tall that your older child can use it if need be.

Thanks, this is really helpful! (Sorry, I don't live in SoCal!) I think that rules out the TF for us, I hate harnesses that are too hard to adjust.

Are there any other things you prefer about the Symphony or the Nextfit (other than what you've already mentioned)? Things I'm considering are the infinite slide harness and the performance fabric on the new symphony platinum.

amreb

Also, where did you find a Nextfit for $180??? Best I've seen so far is Albee Baby, where it is $220 after a 30% off coupon someone gave me.

ebp913

Also, where did you find a Nextfit for $180??? Best I've seen so far is Albee Baby, where it is $220 after a 30% off coupon someone gave me.

Target had them 20% off then there were 20% off or $20 off coupons for baby items available too which made it 40% off. I think that's over now though but I've seen similar sale a few times over the last couple months there.

meljc

Thanks, this is really helpful! (Sorry, I don't live in SoCal!) I think that rules out the TF for us, I hate harnesses that are too hard to adjust.

Are there any other things you prefer about the Symphony or the Nextfit (other than what you've already mentioned)? Things I'm considering are the infinite slide harness and the performance fabric on the new symphony platinum.

Overall I like the Nextfit better for installation. We use a seatbelt in one/both cars depending on puzzling and that built-in lock-off is wonderful. It also has many more recline angles for RF than the Symphony. The harnesses are fine for us in both seats, we don't even think about it to be honest. They work. The Nextfit also puzzles a little better with the other seats we have, but it sounds like that's not an issue for you. I'll put it this way... I'm glad we have the Symphony DLX (this has the self-ratcheting LATCH, which the lower level does not) because it's a wonderful seat for our babysitter to keep in her car. She often takes it out on weekends and re-installs herself Monday morning with no problem (DH works at the same place where preschool is, so he sometimes checks the install at pick-up). But I really wish the Nextfit had been out when DS first needed a convertible, as we would have bought two or three and been done with it! I like the Symphony DLX well enough that it isn't on my "to sell" list, which is where that darn TFP is sitting. When DD needs a convertible in 1.5yr, I will happily put her in the Symphony DLX. It just isn't my top pick since we've had such a wonderful experience with the Nextfit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC