How to do 3 across 2006 Highlander?

sash8282

I thought for sure we'd have to trade in our 06 Highlander, but it's looking like we'll get to keep it for now! Looking for info on a carseat combo. I have a 4 yr old ready for a booster, a 2 yr old front facing, and will have another baby soon. Could someone tell me a combo that would fit? Booster, Toddler Seat, and Carrier. Thank you so much, really appreciate any help. :eek:

ADS

canadiangie

Car seat blog has a good review on your vehicle. Off to go find a link for you..

Hmm, I'm not sure if this is helpful-- its for a 11/12 model year.

http://carseatblog.com/9785/minivan...zle-gas-2011-toyota-highlander-hybrid-review/

But I know we have one mom here who does a 3 across in a Highlander. I'll find her screename...

I'm pretty sure it's Scoutingbear. You could private message her. (Community > members list > search her name)

scoutingbear

:happy-wavehello:

I do 3 across in an '05 Highlander daily! Its the same model as the '06.

First, keep your 4 year old in a harness. It is SO MUCH easier to do a 3 across if you aren't worried about trying to buckle a booster. It's the biggest reason why my booster ready (and has been for 2 years) 6.5 year old is still harnessed. Next, think about a convertible for the new baby. It is still possible to do a 3 across with an infant seat, but oh, so much easier with just a 3rd convertible.

What seats are the 2 and 4 year old currently riding in? Is the 2 year old forward facing or rear facing?

The backseat is surprisingly wide in that car though. You will want to install everything with the seatbelt. Don't use LATCH. Then, put the baby's seat on the driver's side. Think about getting a Radian ifyou don't already have one. They are what makes practically any other seats fit in the car. :) The seats I have now are a radian, a Monterey (large booster), and a Frontier 85 (large combination seat).

If you can answer the questions I asked, then we can go from there. it is totally do-able. :)

sash8282

Thank you for getting back with me. It's so helpful!

I need to buy new carseats anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter what kind they are. Do you think I should buy three radians? Could u possibly post a link of a good carseat that I could buy 3 of? My 2 yr old is front facing. Also, where do u recommend putting the newborn? Middle? Or which side? I like the idea of not using a carrier since I hardly ever left my babies in carriers, I always carried them myself in a wrap or whatever.

You're awesome!

Really, really appreciate your help.

:eek:

scoutingbear

Since you are looking to purchase all new seats anyway, I would make sure you get at least one radian. You might want to look at a combination seat for your 4 year old (you can do anything from the Frontier, to the Graco Nautilus or whatever) since that child is already forward facing. In fact, you could even do 2 combination seats and a radian if you want to and put the baby in the rear facing radian. I would absolutely do the radian in the center rear facing in the back. That is where my 2 year old is and it is fairly easy to get her in and out, she has tons of room still to rear face and I can keep the other two from fighting. ;)

sash8282

Would you not recommend getting 3 of the same? Would that work? My mother offered to buy us three new seats as a gift for the new baby coming in a few weeks. I am not quite sure what to ask her to buy? 3 of the same would be easiest of course but of course I need to find out if that would work before she buys. Let me know at your convenience. Thanks so much :)

sash8282

Does anyone know of 3 specific carseats that would fit in the back seat of a highlander? I am trying to eliminate the guess work. Which 3 seats? :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC