Question How big until they're out of a booster?

butterflymama7

To what height/weight should older kids be before they're out of the high back booster and a regular booster? I've been reading around some and I think I should still have my 8 year old in a high back maybe. I know what the law says but what's the recommendation?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I would feel perfectly fine with a neurotypical eight-year-old using a backless booster as long as he/she:

~ Meets the minimum height and weight requirements
~ Has head support
~ Doesn't fall asleep in the car and thus fall out of position
~ Has a good lapbelt fit
~ Has a good shoulder belt fit

Brigala

CPST Instructor
There are no official guidelines for highback vs. backless booster. A booster is a booster. Use the type that fits your child best and works best with your vehicle. As a general rule, smaller children often get a better shoulder belt fit with a highback booster, and younger children can benefit from having the extra support to keep them in place when they are tired or asleep. Highback boosters often advertise side impact protection, too, but since there are no federal safety standards that apply to side impact protection we have no idea how much of that is "real" and how much of it is simply marketing.

If possible, I prefer not to use a backless booster if the child needs the little belt positioning clip on a strap in order to get a proper belt fit. And if you don't have head rests in your vehicle, you may need a booster that offers head support. Not all highback boosters offer structural head support, but obviously none of the backless boosters do.

mommyfrog

The adult seat belt usually fits when they reach about 4'9". Kids are usually older than eight when they reach that height and will still need some kind of booster to help the seat belt fit right. Like the others said, a backless booster is fine at that age if you have head support behind her.

vtbecca

My boys were around 10, 10.5 before I felt they were old enough to go without, and fit. My middle absolutely didn't mind staying in that long, but he became too tall in it in certain situations. He just stopped using his about a month ago, and is about 4'8"

Becca

mommyfrog

That's the same height as my 10.5 year old boy. He fits in some cars without a booster now. The third row of minivans mostly. He still uses a booster in my van since the belt fit is horrible in there. Both him and my eight year old use high backs in my van (lack of head support) and backless when they go somewhere with someone else.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC