Question Honda odyssey 2005 installing recaro performance sport?tether, latch or 3 point seatbelt

U

Unregistered

Hi, I just got my 2013 Recaro Performance sport & attempting to install it into my 2005 Honda Odyssey. I have a 5 yo weighs 41 lbs. & I plan to use the 5 point harness on him. I am looking at the manual for both car & Recaro &am confused as to how to install properly. Recaro says I can latch & tether to up to 52 lbs & then after that weight limit go to the cars seats shoulder & lap belt only. Online blogs I have read Honda says 40lbs weight limit for latch & tether (their car manual says nothing about Maximums of course -had to scour the net for that tidbit). Then the carseat lady &other blogs say when you max out on the latch weight on your car do the 3 point shoulder/ lap seatbelt AND tether regardless off the weight. I am confused. The more I read the more I don't know who's right. Any help would be appreciated. How do I install this thing? I am leaning towards the shoulder/seat belt & tethering permantly. (It's the combination of all I've read). Thx

ADS
U

Unregistered

Hi, separate question about your 2005 Odyssey. How wide is the middle seat in the second row? Do you think you could get 3 car seats in that second row?

Thanks.

smileyblue4

I'd be interested to hear how your seatbelt install goes! My son's still under 40 lbs, so his prosport is latched in, but I will have to switch mine at some point. Which seating position are you using for him?

jess71903

Ambassador
You're not the only one that's confused! There has been a lot of controversy in the car seat world lately with that top tether weight limit thing. Most of us believe you should ALWAYS top tether a forward facing seat. If the tether fails, it has already done its job. As a tech, I am supposed to tell you to follow the manual.

Now the ProSport presents yet another problem with that 52lb tether limit. Again, with my own kids, I'd ignore it if I had to. As it is, my son has moved to a booster from his ProSport. At 6 years old, he's still well under that 52lb limit.

So, you must follow the lower anchor limit, which your kiddo is over, so you have to install with the seat belt. In your case, I would also top tether the seat without a second thought about it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC