Help! I need to figure out a cheap carseat/ booster for MIL to buy by tomorrow

DAR

Merry Christmas! Hopefully someone will be on today that can help me. My husband and 4 year old have to fly last minute to my MIL's for DH's cousin's funeral. We visit MIL just enough that I would like to get a car seat for DS for MIL's.

Here are my DS's stats
1) turned 4 in August
2) 46 lbs
3)44 inches

We go to see MIL about twice a year. For our last trip I bought a RSTV, but DS did not like that he could not see out of MIL's car windows.

I would say that I would be tempted to get a booster, because the longest trip made is 20 minutes to the airport and none of it is major highway driving. However, because this trip is last minute, the best rate I could get coming down is for an airport an hour away. Still only on a 2 lane minor highway, but it is a long time for a booster.

We currently have a Nautilus or Frontier 85 that could go with them, but both are heavy and it is not a direct flight.

I would love to spend under $100.

Thank you for any help. I am trying to think what is on the way to the airport- I know Target and Walmart

ADS

Brianna

A Maestro is under $100 but it only harnesses to 50 pounds, if you could get another Nautilus that would be ideal.

Jan06twinmom

The Maestro would work, but wouldn't last very long.

If you think your DS would be able to handle a booster with some adult guidance, I would get the Graco Turbobooster. It will need to be assembled, which includes putting the screws in the armrests. For the longer drive, can dad or a grandparent sit in the back seat to keep an eye on him and remind him if he gets out of position?

Another option to consider - RSTV for the long drive from the airport (assuming you still have it) and the Turbobooster for around town.

Melanie

DAR

The Maestro would work, but wouldn't last very long.

If you think your DS would be able to handle a booster with some adult guidance, I would get the Graco Turbobooster. It will need to be assembled, which includes putting the screws in the armrests. For the longer drive, can dad or a grandparent sit in the back seat to keep an eye on him and remind him if he gets out of position?

Another option to consider - RSTV for the long drive from the airport (assuming you still have it) and the Turbobooster for around town.

Melanie

I was just looking at the Maestro online. It says booster until 100 lbs. Does it not work well as a booster, or is it the height that you are worried about?

Why would I not just have MIL buy a Maestro and use it as a booster after 50 lbs. It seems to go almost to the same height as a turbo booster. We go to see MIL as a family for Easter so I would get 2 uses out of it as a harness. Are there fit problems with it as a booster?

I have a younger son that is 2 who is only 29 lbs, but tall. We bought him a Cosco Scenera on our last visit. I think he will be in it a while, but the Maestro could be used on him when he outgrows the Scenera (it is taller by 4 inches according to the spreadsheets). Maybe by that time DS would be able to be in a backless booster?

DAR

It is outgrown by height at the same time for the harness and in booster mode.

Thanks! I have been reading old threads as fast as I can to figure out why it was not recommended as a booster. My son shoulders are only a smudge below with the second harness slot from the top on the Nautilus. I will be needing to move him to the highest spot soon. This probably means that we will do the turbo booster/ RSTV combo with DH next to him.

The only way I can justify the seat is if DS#2 would be needing it soon which I don't think he will. Cosco Scenera says harness height of 14.75". The Maestro is 19". DS#2 is He is 29 lbs and 37" tall. Long torso of 13". I am betting that would get us through Easter, but we probably won't go down again for a year at least. I don't want MIL thinking she has to buy a seat every time we come down.

Nautilus would be cheaper in the long run if I have to buy the Maestro and then a turbo booster in April if he outgrows the Maestro. I don't think the new evenflo is out yet, I cannot find a post with its name.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC