Help choosing booster for 4 1/2 year old

U

Unregistered

My DS is 4 1/2, 50 lbs and not quite 3'8". I have one Britax Frontier (5pt harness booster), and need to get a 2nd car seat for grandparents and eventually to replace the Marathon he is going to outgrow. I can't really afford another Frontier, and it is impossible to remove from my Honda Pilot middle seat (tech had a hard time installing I'm not about to try!), so I'd like to get a seat that is easier to switch cars. The other cars are sedans and a pick up with bench seat in back.

Is there a good, safe alternative to the Frontier? (Safety is most important so if that 's the only option I'll get another one). I read Graco Nautilus is good, but then read there are a lot of buckle issues.

DS is very mature for his age, BUT on a 2 hour car ride I saw my friend's DS the same age squirm and twist out of position in his high back booster to get toys, etc. I have also read one post that this age is safer in the harness to have an impact spread out over the five points.

Sorry so much info! Struggling on this one and we really need to buy a seat. I know that highback booster is so much cheaper, but am not sure it's safe. Thanks for any advice.

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi. One seat you might want to look at is the Evenflo SecureKid. The crotch strap is a little farther out than the Nautilus but otherwise the seat is on par with the Nauti. If you're looking for less expensive than that, its cousin, the Maestro, is also a nice seat. The headrest on the SecureKid is adjustable, though.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
The SecureKid seems like a great recommendation. :) The Maestro has a 50 pound harness weight limit, but the SecureKid would work. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC