Question HELP!! Best seat for a 2002 VW Beetle

JRM31

I have been driving myself crazy researching and trying to find information on the safest car seat/best seat. I need one that will fit into my small vw beetle, I really wanted to get a convertible one and have been looking at Britax advocate, however I'm just unsure if that would be the best fit for my car. I also am unsure of if a convertible or infant seat would be easiest? thanks in advance for the help!:)

ADS

Ninetales

Well, there is no safest or best overall seat, so that could be why you're having trouble there. :)

A bucket style infant seat or convertible is a personal choice. Some people really prefer a bucket so they don't have to put baby in a cold or hot seat in extreme weather, or so they can let them sleep. Others really like using a convertible from the start. It really depends on your needs and preferences.

If you do choose a convertible from birth keep in mind they don't all fit newborns. Even if they say from 5 lbs, the harness straps may not be low enough. Off the top of my head, ones that do fit newborns are the Graco Myride, the Diono/Sunshine Kids Radian, Combi Coccoro, The First Years/Lamaze True Fit, Cosco Scenera, and the Maxi Cosi Pria. The newer Britax seats have an insert purchased separately to make the seat fit a newborn, and I have no idea about the Evenflo convertibles.

Are you expecting a big/tall baby?

Ninetales

For a small car, the Britax seats are usually a good fit but they may not offer enough leg room or room to rearface as long as some others, depending on how your child grows.

The Combi is also good for small spaces, but again, won't last as long for some kids.

The Radian is pretty huge, especially at an angle needed for a newborn. The True Fit is pretty big front to back too, but the headrest can be removed for newborns, which helps.

I have a Myride in a Cavalier but I don't know how the backseat compares to the beetle.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I'm going to link you to a previous thread with several posts including photos of successful installs in a new Beetle to give you some possibilities/suggestions: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=158674 It looks like that thread has several successful rear facing convertible carseat installations in the Beetle as well as an infant seat model (Graco Snugride 32). :)

skipspin

I'm going to suggest an infant seat if you will have a newborn in the Beetle very often. Now, I'm all for skipping the infant seat and going to a convertible- and I did with my last two kids. However, if I had a 2 door car I wouldn't even consider it unless was the only option.

Why? You are going to have to climb in the back seat of the car to put a newborn in a convertible seat. They are floppy and teeny-tiny. Not a big deal with a 4-door or even in a hatch back, but there's not enough room to easily put a baby through the back with a beetle. (I owned a 2001 before kids.) With an infant seat you can either slide the baby in the seat and buckle since they aren't as upright, or you can take the infant seat out to make it more accessible- even if you don't use it as a carrier outside of the car.

I *did* have an infant in a convertible in a two door Jeep, but 75% of the time I had the sides off so I could put baby in that way. The rest of the time it was a PITB, but it wasn't my primary vehicle so it wasn't as big of a deal.

Now, if you end up with a convertible with an older infant/toddler it's not as bad. They are teeny tiny and floppy and most of the time they will climb in the seat themselves which makes it TONS easier.

beetlemama

I drive a beetle with two kids. For the newborn angle you will without a doubt want an infant bucket since they're generally smaller front to back than a convertible, so it will be way more comfortable for whoever is in front of them!

My model (2006, regular not convertible) has advanced airbags on the passenger side, which means a carseat cannot touch the back of it at all. But, this doesn't exist on the drivers side (I checked and rechecked the manual a dozen times to be sure!), so if you and/or your significant other (whoever is the main driver) is on the petite side you may be able to fit a RF seat in that position with a little more room.

I currently have my 2.5 year old rear facing in a radian that is braced to the drivers seat and am awaiting the arrival of my angle adjuster to help give me more room. At 5'0" I can sit in front of her comfortably, but my 6'1" husband cannot drive with the seat this way (we're hoping between bracing being allowed and the angle adjuster he'll finally be able to drive our only car again!). I haven't tried many other seats because I have larger kids (2y 5m, 35 lbs and 38 inches!) so the radian was the best option to keep them rear facing for a long time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC