Question Harness straps too high?

aym4Him

I know this might not be the best angle, but do they look too high? The next slots down seem to be right at or maybe just a little bit above his shoulders. Should I move them back down & keep a steady eye on them?

image-1985390217.jpg

ADS

CrazyBoysMamma

Personally, if the next down is at or above I would move them down and keep an eye on it. A trick to be able to clearly see where the harness slot is(because sometimes the cover obscures it a little) is to take a popsicle stick and put it in the harness slot while he's sitting in it, you may have more(or less) room than you think.

monstah

I think they look great. You can stick a pen, stick, whatever in the lower slot and see if his shoulders angle it up if you want.
It's better to keep them up high than to move them down and be unsure. He is stinkin' ADORABLE! :love:

aym4Him

Thanks, y'all.

I wish there was an in between slot! I will try the popsicle stick trick tomorrow. I did try (but with a pencil) before we re-installed it (after a puking incident) but he was NOT cooperative. Just by the looks of it, it seemed low to me- but a popsicle stick seems like a much better choice! I'll do it before we head to school tomorrow and then lower them (if needed) after I drop him off.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. We were on an overnight to the in-laws'.

I'm happy to report he napped for a good 1 1/2 hours in the seat today which gives me a little hope for our 10 hour trip coming up this weekend! :cool:

Athena

Is that popsicle stick angle parallel to the ground? If so, it looks like it's right on his shoulder, like he has no growing room. Is that right? It's really hard for me to tell from the picture. If that's right, I'd leave it. I wouldn't want to have to be checking everyday, but that's a personal decision. I'm in a similar situation because this morning I found that my 3yo's shoulders are at her harness strap height in her nauti, so I'm moving them up later today. It looks like that means the straps will be riding high on her now. I agree. I wish there was a slot between.

NatesMamma

I agree, they look like they're right at his shoulders. I'd keep them in the higher slots.

Anyway, I thought the straps being too high wasn't an issue? Aren't there seats that require the top slots be used any time the seat is FF, regardless of the kid's height?

aym4Him

Here's a little better pic:

image-1947607102.jpg

It's close but I don't think parallel.

I have an appt to check the install but it isn't til the 20th.

NatesMamma

FYI: You can always use a small level to check, but make sure you're parked on level ground. ;)

Honestly? When the kid is *so close* to a set of harness slots that you're considering using a level to check whether the popsicle stick is actually parallel to the ground or not, then you're over thinking it! LOL

Really, the straps are fine on the higher slot. Otherwise, you're going to have to keep a very close eye on them to catch when he grows that extra little bit and goes over them. For FF, either at or above is good, but I, personally, would move them up once Kiddo hits the "at" point.

luckyclov

Those in between stages really bug me, too. But, personally, when it comes between the harness sitting *at* shoulder level or above, I ALWAYS go above. I'm not really worried about it being too high since I know the harness is tightened properly (and the chest clip is positioned properly).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC