Graco My Ride 65 in 98 Toyota Camry?

M

Mattysgirl09

So I just bought this car seat and DH was trying to install it Rear Facing in the back of my 98 Camry and the seat belts in the back are ELR (Emergency Locking Retracter) belts so they slide around. So we used the little metal locking clip your supposed to use with the ELR belts yet it still slides around a lot. Is there any way we get this car seat safely installed so it doesn't slide around even with the locking clip on or can we not use this car seat with these types of belts?

I'm so frustrated why did they ever make seat belts this way?! If I could afford it I'd buy a new car that is better equipped to restrain car seats.:confused:

ADS

KaiLing

Hi, welcome!

A locking clip is the right tool... and can be very frustrating. So you're on the right track, hang in there. You're trying to install it on the outside, not the middle? If you have a lap-only belt in the middle it might be easier--there might be a locking latchplate if you have a lap-only belt (and the lap-only belt isn't safe for anyone else to sit in, so putting a car seat there is good).

Here's how I installed my MyRide behind the passenger seat in a 95 Civic, also without locking belts:
1. put car seat on the seat facing the rear of the car.
2. thread belt through and buckle.
3. Climb in car and stand behind the seat (put the front seat all the way up first). Push in to the back of the car with your tummy and down with your left hand.
4. tighten belt with your right hand, feeding the shoulder portion up to make the lap portion shorter and the seat tighter. I can't quite remember the MyRide's cover, if you can pull it back to see the belt path, do so.
5. When it's very tight, unbuckle seat belt but hold the belt together above the sliding latchplate. Fasten locking clip within 1" of the latch plate.

Now: the fun part! Getting it buckled again with the locking clip on! The key here is to push in and down, so I'm going to use anything I've got to do that. It might work to stand behind it like I did when tightening. It might work to lean in to it from the door. But what works best is having one person lean in and down like when tightening and one person buckling. I usually end up bouncing a bit, not too much (we don't want to break the seat), but giving it a bit of motion in the hopes that the belt will click in.

Hope that helps. Swearing is key for me. Feel free to tell that Toyota exactly what you think.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC