Graco Highback Turbobooster Install?

evansmom

I posted a few weeks ago about my Frotier 85 install not fitting right and being very difficult to buckle/unbuckle in my Traverse. I've had it! I went and bought a turbo booster high back seat today instead to try. I am attaching some photos as I am hoping to get some input on if this is a good fit for my child. He is 6.5 years old, 48 inches tall and weighs 53 pounds. The top of his shoulders are even with the bottom of the head support piece. Can someone look at the photos and let me know please?

In addition, I have 4 questions-

1) Since there is no LATCH to hold the seat and no top tether, is it equally as safe?

2) Do I need to buckle the seat in each time he is not in the car to hold it down?

3) Do I need the belt clip positioner if he has a good shoulder fit?

4) What are the 2 screws for that were included in the box??

Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1232.jpg
    IMG_1232.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1234.jpg
    IMG_1234.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 32
ADS

rachelandtyke

The headrest is all the way up? To me, it looks nearly outgrown in high back mode. But don't take my word for it, let others chime in! He must have a long torso (or my DD has a short one! We have a Turbobooster and she has growing room still at the same height).

1. The Turbobooster is a much lighter seat. It is perfectly safe without LATCH and tether. Actually most boosters don't have LATCH or tether. Most dedicated boosters that do have LATCH have a loose latch strap so it is really only to keep the seat secure when unoccupied. A booster helps provide safe seatbelt fit and provides extra support at the hips for young skeletons. It does not need to be coupled to the car like a harnessed seat does. It actually moves with the child in a collision.

2. Yes, it should be buckled each time the car is in motion, whether occupied or not. Just teach him to do that as part of his exit routine when leaving the vehicle each time.

3. The belt positioning clip can be used in backless mode to help improve shoulder belt placement, but is not required.

4. The screws are for the arms:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=148603

Brianna

Is the headrest adjusted all the way up? It looks like he has outgrown it if it is all the way up. The Turbobooster is a great seat but unfortunately doesn't last long for long torso'd children with the back attached.

evansmom

No, the headrest is not all the way up. There was at least one other notch up if not two…The manual said that the top of the ears couldn't be higher than the top of the carseat, not the top of his head.

Is he ok??? Am I doing something wrong with the install of the head support setting?

What would be a different good option for him then?

Last edited:
If you plan on keeping him in a HBB for a little while then i'd probably get him a Safety 1st Boost Air, Britax Parkway or one of the new Diono boosters when they come out. The Turbo Booster is quite short.

evansmom

I just went out to the car and checked. There are still a few height positions left.. I must have just had it too low?

Is it normal for this seat to recline so easily by just lightly pulling it back? I assume that normal? Just seems so "flimsy"..? Does that make sense?

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I just went out to the car and checked. There are still a few height positions left.. I must have just had it too low?

Is it normal for this seat to recline so easily by just lightly pulling it back? I assume that normal? Just seems so "flimsy"..? Does that make sense?

If you have a few clicks left and you otherwise like it then it's probably a decent option for you.

It is normal for the seat to recline easily. When you're used to the beefiness of the Frontier it's quite a leap to go to a Turbo (or any lightweight booster actually). Remember the purpose of the booster is to boost the child up so that the adult belt fits properly, and it looks like it's doing that nicely. If you want the option of latching the booster in there are seats with that capability but they're generally pricier.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC