Question Getting a new van-need to fit 5 seats

Inca

Ok so I'm most likely getting a Honda Odyssey within the next few months. It will be an older model, between 1999-2003 most likely.

My two children will sit in the middle row. My dd is currently in a Graco Safeseat, she'll be upgraded once we get the van, she only 3.5 months now. And my ds is in a Frontier 85, he is almost 4 year old.

I do in home daycare and occasionally will need to transport 3 of the children to take my son to preschool. They are twins who just turned 3 a couple weeks ago, and a little boy who turned 2 in November. They are all forward facing with their parents, so I'd probably do the same for in my vehicle as well.

So my question is what 3 car-seats would you get to fit in the back row of the van? Ideally I'd not like to break the bank, but I still want them to be safe while with me (of course!!)

And just to humor me, what would you suggest me to get for my daughter, when we switch to a convertible, (and why?) We do love our Britax, so I'd probably want to stay with them (But if you have another recommended seat that is NOT Britax, I'd love to hear about it!)

Thanks in advance! :love:

ADS

janahhas4girls

I would do something fairly slim since you will have 3 carseats in the back. Are the parents not paying for them at all? I would suggest 3 Diono Radian RXT...they fit up to rear facing 45 pounds and then FF to 80 pounds. Then go to booster seats as well..

For your daughter, I would suggest a Marathon or Roundabout Britax carseat. I've also heard good things about the Graco MyRide

Inca

I would do something fairly slim since you will have 3 carseats in the back. Are the parents not paying for them at all? I would suggest 3 Diono Radian RXT...they fit up to rear facing 45 pounds and then FF to 80 pounds. Then go to booster seats as well..

For your daughter, I would suggest a Marathon or Roundabout Britax carseat. I've also heard good things about the Graco MyRide

Thanks. Most likely they will not pay for them, which is why I need something fairly inexpensive. Of course, the seats will be tax deductible. I do like your suggestion for the seats, especially because the twins I have are 3 years old and are fast approaching 40 lbs which is what I find the limit to be on most "cheap" seats.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Dmcj13

What about the new Dorel seat that is marketed for three across? Let me see if I can find it. I think it is around $99
ETA
Found it! http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11563636
You could try and get one with the trade in event, and one with the multiples discount. I measured it ad Baby depot the other day and the top slots were pretty high, I think 17-17.5
It is called a few different things. Guide at baby depot
http://www1.burlingtoncoatfactory.com/babydepot/Guide-65-Convertible-Car-Seat-Seaport-344199553.aspx

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Go to the 3 across thread under the installation forum. You can search that thread for odysseys. I wouldn't buy convertible for a ff kid unless totally neccessary.

I would check out the maestro for the twins. Or the new evenflo securekid 300. I don't know what I would put in the middle for the 2y.

Inca

So I finally got my van. 99 ody. Still researching which carseats would fit. I actually have my son's older Evenflo Triumph Elite I was thinking on using for the 3 year old in the middle. Not sure what I could get for the twins on the outside of him though. I'm just torn because most seats, the most narrow I can find are around 19 inches wheras the measurement of the 3rd row is only 49".

musicmama

I just did some traveling w/ 3-across in the third row of our 2010 Ody. We had 2 Radian/Diono and a Frontier. The center Diono was RF, but it looked like there was plenty of space to make FF possible.

I think for more puzzling options using less pricey seats, you might want to try RF somebody back there, maybe the 2yo? It isn't fun, but doable to access the LO from the hatch. It's super easy if they are in the 1/3 split and you can pull the strap to get the seat back down (I think that's OK if used when not traveling?)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC