Question Front seat of a pickup question

bubbaray

Not to pick on you, but using a seat without a TA in Canada is not a parental decision. It is illegal, and dangerous.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

But if the vehicle manual does not expressly allow a center install of a child restraint (and some trucks do not), I would be extremely concerned that it was for a valid reason -- such as the driver's side airbag deploys into the area of the center front passenger.

Personally, in the circumstances of this particular decision, I would not put a child in the center of that truck. If it meant FFg without a tether outboard, that is what I would do. I'm far more worried about an airbag deploying into a child than I am about the legalitiess. So, for that reason, I do think this particular circumstance is a parental judgement call -- the OP needs to make a decision in crappy circumstances. Yes, FFg without a tether is dangerous, but IMO the front airbag is *more* dangerous than the tether issue. We know that the RN does perform well in US head excursion testing and an entire country south of the 49th is permitted to use the seat with a TA.

Would I prefer that the OP had a vehicle set up that permitted a FFg seat to be used with a TA? Of course. Its the legal and "proper" thing to do. Nothing in her original post, or subsequent ones, leads me to believe that in these particular circumstances *I* would put one of my children in the center front of that truck unless I could find clear reference in the truck manual that it was safe to do so.

JMHO

ADS

tiggercat

bubbaray said:
But if the vehicle manual does not expressly allow a center install of a child restraint (and some trucks do not), I would be extremely concerned that it was for a valid reason -- such as the driver's side airbag deploys into the area of the center front passenger.

Personally, in the circumstances of this particular decision, I would not put a child in the center of that truck. If it meant FFg without a tether outboard, that is what I would do. I'm far more worried about an airbag deploying into a child than I am about the legalitiess. So, for that reason, I do think this particular circumstance is a parental judgement call -- the OP needs to make a decision in crappy circumstances. Yes, FFg without a tether is dangerous, but IMO the front airbag is *more* dangerous than the tether issue. We know that the RN does perform well in US head excursion testing and an entire country south of the 49th is permitted to use the seat with a TA.

Would I prefer that the OP had a vehicle set up that permitted a FFg seat to be used with a TA? Of course. Its the legal and "proper" thing to do. Nothing in her original post, or subsequent ones, leads me to believe that in these particular circumstances *I* would put one of my children in the center front of that truck unless I could find clear reference in the truck manual that it was safe to do so.

JMHO

Assumedly, if the manufacturer of the vehicle put an anchor in the middle position, they consider it an appropriate place for a child restraint.

Also, a FF seat in front of an airbag is not ideal, but provided the seat is correctly installed and tethered, with the front seat pushed back, is not in the same realm of risk as using an untethered seat, IMO. She is harnessed, so won't be out of position.

Your opinion is certainly valid :) Everyone is welcome to their own. I just wince when I hear using a seat illegally and unsafely as a "parental decision".

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

agave

I have a '99 Ranger manual. It says the teather anchor can only be installed in the center on trucks with a back seat because it would be dangerous to a passenger in the back outboard. It also only gives instructions for installation outboard and that a RF seat should never be installed in the front seat. Clear as mud. I had my Ranger pre kid but the back is really only suitable for cargo and great for hauling dogs.

amelia222

We have a '07 Ranger. The one you are driving must be slightly older since ours has an airbag sensor, not a switch. There are tether anchors for the center and passenger seats, the one for the passenger seat is almost under the seat and easy to miss. Since there is a switch for the airbag I would keep her RF. also, FF seats are very difficult to install in this truck because of the shape of the seat and the long buckle stalk. I'm betting that the chances of the 3 of you fitting in the front are about zero. That middle seat is a bit ridiculous IMO since it is so narrow that even the tiniest of adults would be very squished. If you do have to all go then I think that one adult in the back is your only option.

bccrst

is there a reason the FF seat can't be temporarily top tethered to the seatbelt for the jump seat directly behind it?

OP, have you looked at taking the bus? It might not end up being that much more expensive, given the price of gas.

LittlePeanut

is there a reason the FF seat can't be temporarily top tethered to the seatbelt for the jump seat directly behind it?

From what I'm reading in the LATCH manual, there should be tether anchors for both passenger seating positions, so tethering to another location should not be necessary.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Ford Driver's airbags do not overlap into the center seat position, so I would put the kiddo in the center rfing with the passenger airbag off. Or even ffing since she is 2.5yo. This would give you the safest general set up for your everyday needs.

For this scenerio, if it were me, I'd leave hubby and kiddo at home and con a friend into going with me and make a girls day out of it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC