Flying BA with a very small 3-yr-old

jessadam

Hi everyone,

I've looked through many posts here about BA, CARES, etc., but I haven't found any recent information on the topic, so I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

We need to fly to London in June with my daughter, who turns 3 in a couple of weeks. We've flown BA countless times (including several times with her), we have miles we can use, and it's the only airline that has a direct flight from our home. So I really want to avoid another airline. But according to their website, BA won't let a child 3 or above use a car-seat (why...??!!) and they recommend the CARES system. Problem is, my daughter is tiny -- she weighs 23.5lb, so even if she has a crazy growth spurt, there's no way she'll be more than 24 or 25 by June). Everything I've read about CARES makes me think it won't contain her safely, she'll just wriggle out the bottom, and/or get strangled by the thing. Also, it's a night-flight, and I can't see her being comfortable enough to sleep with a CARES. And she's much too small for a Ride Safer vest.

What to do? I will have a car-seat to use in London, so I don't have to take ours on the plane, but I don't feel she'll be safe in a CARES, and I'm obviously not going to just use the seatbelt.

Other than a different airline (which = layover, longer flight, more expensive), is there an option I haven't thought of? Has anyone successfully challenged BA's arbitrary age limit (which makes no sense because clearly weight/size is the only thing that should matter)?

Many thanks.

ADS

BananaBoat

I don't have any direct experience with BA. What I have heard around here is that they are not very flexible with their policy regarding car seats in flight.

Regarding CARES, I have used it with my older daughter when she was just over 2 years old and about 26 pounds. It was fine for the flight (Boston-Munich & back) on Lufthansa. The pilot had to "approve" it, but once he saw the FAA stickers on it, it was fine. She definitely slide a bit from underneath it while sleeping - it will not be as supportive as her car seat.

The Ride Safer Travel Vest is ONLY for cars - it is not FAA approved & must be used with a lap & shoulder belt in a vehicle. I just didn't want you to confuse the different restraints.

You can certainly call BA to explain the situation & beg for an exception. If you do, get it in writing & bring it with you! Ultimately, the decision lies with the flight crew which are more likely to be receptive if you are friendly, firm & have lots of back-up info for them. If you can't get an exception from BA, I'd personally bring the CARES & lots of blankets. Make sure she's secure during take-off, landing & during any bouts of turbulence. In between, I'd raise the seat divider & help her get as cozy & comfy in her seat as possible. Restraints in-flight are most effective on take-off & landing, so that's what I'd focus on.

Good luck!

monica-m

CPST Instructor
If BA didn't have the car seat policies that they have, they would be darn near perfect. I :love: flying BA. I don't recall them ever asking how old DS was but he was 2 at the time and still fit RF in his Coccoro. We FF'd on the plance since they don't allow rear facing. I don't think he would have been comfortable in a CARES and I don't think he would have slept well in one at all. I did have to show the FAA sticker both coming and going and they did have to double check with the pilot to make sure the FAA sticker was sufficient when we were coming back but the entire time I was dealing with the FA's they were extremely nice. I would just take the seat on board and be prepared to show them the FAA sticker and hopefully her age won't come up, especially if she's tiny.

Boot

My personal experience flying with my toddler on BA was they were great and very child friendly. Mine was only 15 months but I'm sure there were older children with car seats. Personally, I would just act dumb and bring a seat with you. The worst that will happen is they will gate check it. Do you have a spare travel seat that you aren't too worried about? You can always still use the borrowed seat at your destination. We're planning on bringing a car seat for our 3 year old when we fly BA in the summer so I'm interested in hearing how it goes!

YouAreTheFocus

She's smaller than my 20 month old, I'd tell them she was 2 and bring a seat!!! But that's just me!

:yeahthatlove: Same thing I was thinking. At 23-24 lbs, I don't think they will they be able to tell her age. I would just walk on with the seat & kid and go about my business.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Here is a picture of my daughter at 2 years 11 months, 22 pounds. We were on our way to China. She was barely big enough and did slide down while sleeping, but it was better than nothing.
claracares2.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC