Expecting twins & have toddler - fitting 3 across Maxda CX-9

campbeje

Hi - I have reviewed many of the Mazda CX-9 related posts, yet I don't think I found a situation quite like mine and am appreciating your help.

I am due with twins in December, at that time my toddler will be 2yrs 7 months old. We currently have a Britax Boulevard 70 (in the Maxda) for my toddler, she is facing forward. Prior to her being in the Boulevard we had a Chicco Keyfit (standard, not 30). We also have a Britax Roundabout in my husband's car for our toddler.

We are looking to put 3 carseats across the 2nd row of the CX-9. We had planned to use the Chicco again, but now that we are having twins we are considering all scenarios as we now have to purchase at least 1 additional carseat and need them to also be easily compatible with a double stroller. Off-hand I am wondering if I can do the Chicco we have, one of the Britax's we have and then purchase a Chicco Keyfit 30 such that the 2 Chiccos would also be compatible with the Chicco double stroller I am considering. If this Chicco scenario doesn't work, we are then in the market for purchasing 2 carseats and compatible stroller for our twins and will start the research again. Wondering what the best options are for having a FF Toddler and 2 RF infants in the 2nd row - we know we want the "pumpkin" bucket seats that click into the secured bases to "ease" our transport and tranferring to a stroller.

I appreciate everyone's help!

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Congratulations on your upcoming twins, very exciting!

I put a FF Marathon 65 next to a Keyfit in my friend's CX-9, but I'm almost positive there would not have been enough room for another Keyfit on the other side, so I don't know if you're going to be able to swing that with your Boulevard. The Radian installs beautifully in the center seat of the CX9 both RF and FF, so I would look at replacing your Boulevard with a Radian, and put it in the center with the Keyfits on either side and you'll have plenty of space. The Radian will help a lot for when your twins graduate from the infant seats as well.

Sounds like your toddler just turned two? Has she outgrown the Boulevard rear facing? Two is the minimum age for forward facing, their spine is still doing a significant amount of maturing and we prefer to see kids rear face until closer to 3-4 years as their spine continues to fuse and becomes strong enough to stand up to the force of a crash.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Does your oldest still fit the britax seats rf? If so I would put her back rf and leave her that way until she outgrows her seat.

I would take your current keyfit and try installing it on each side of the britax seat you have. The keyfit22 and keyfit30 shells are the same size so if your current seat fits on both sides without moving the middle seat at all then it will work.

If you need to replace the britax seat I would look at the radian. It is very narrow.

nanny2be10

My mom drives a CX-9 and its relatively spacious in the backseat.

Keep in mind that if you use seatbelts to install the outboard seats, there may be more room because you can place the base closer to the door. If a FF Boulevard doesn't fit in the center, I would try it outboard as well. While the babies are in bases it would be easy to pop one bucket in the middle first and then the other baby in the outboard seat. Having a 2 year old on the side may also be easier than leaning over bucket seats to buckle him up.

If the boulevard doesnt fit with 2 keyfits, I'd also suggest a radian. It's the narrowest convertible made. I'd also like to add that its 500% safer to keep children rearfacing, so just because its legal to turn your twins forward facing at 20 lbs / 1 year, it's not safe!

Congrats on your twins!

NannyMom

How does the 2nd row of the CX9 relate to the CX7? I have a FF Radian in the center of DH's CX7 and there's no way I can put a Chicco Keyfit next to it on the driver's side (I have a KF base that I sat there, didn't fit at all).

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
How does the 2nd row of the CX9 relate to the CX7? I have a FF Radian in the center of DH's CX7 and there's no way I can put a Chicco Keyfit next to it on the driver's side (I have a KF base that I sat there, didn't fit at all).

The CX9 has a third row - so I think overall the interior is bigger. My friend is 39 weeks so I put her Keyfit in last week in the center, next to a Maestro outboard. It was a serious struggle but I was able to get secure installs with both. I've had some pretty wide other 3-across setups in her car too.

campbeje

I appreciate everyone's quick response and input. My daughter turned 2 in May - we waited until 2 years to turn her around and though I am familiar with all of the research, it has helped a lot since turning her. She is not the best traveler and we really struggled with getting car-sick :( I am thinking we will keep her FF, but will reconsider in terms of safety and also positioning of 3 seats.

I have not pulled my Chicco from the basement, but from looking closer at the backseat last night it doesn't look like 2 Chiccos and a Boulevard or our Roundabout would fit 3 across. We will do a trial run in terms of trying a Birtax in the center and then trying our Chicco on each side - the center seat just looks so small! As mentioned, it sounds like our best bet might be to purchase a Radian for the center seat (toddler) and we should be able to fit our existing Chicco on one side and then purchase another Chicco for the other side. If we go this route - when the twins are older we will then have 1 Radian, 1 Boulevard and 1 Roundabout in the mix. What are your thoughts for best configuration at that point? Sounds like the Radian is the way to go in terms of safety and space - 2 Radians and 1 Boulevard? Or Radian for toddler in the middle with the twins possibly fitting in the Boulevard and Roundabout on each-side?

Although I am not a first-time mommy I feel like it all again (even moreso) with the twins in the mix! Thanks!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I think you might have a better shot once the twins are out of the infant seats if you put the Radian and the Roundabout RF, I think you'll have a shot at getting the Blvd FF for your oldest.

This is a Marathon, Radian, and Complete Air all RF in my friend's CX9:

shades.jpg

The high sides of the Marathon and the low sides of the Radian fit perfectly together if they're going the same direction (assuming you have the old style Boulevard 65 and Roundabout 50 with the white bases), so you should have a significant amount of room on the other side if you do RF Britax and RF Radian next to one another for a FF seat on the other side.

Just checking - do you have the top tether attached on your daughter's seats now?

Kaitsmom

We rented a CX-9 over Christmas and I had a really hard time, gave up infact, installing my Marathon in the center of the second row. I couldnt get it in tight and it didnt seem like there was enough room. I installed it behind the passenger with no real issue; other then the leather and squishy seats. What about putting one of the newborns in the third row?

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Kaitsmom said:
We rented a CX-9 over Christmas and I had a really hard time, gave up infact, installing my Marathon in the center of the second row. I couldnt get it in tight and it didnt seem like there was enough room. I installed it behind the passenger with no real issue; other then the leather and squishy seats. What about putting one of the newborns in the third row?

Unfortunately, not gonna happen. The third row is SHALLOW.... I couldn't even fit a coccoro back there. It's useless, really. No tethers either so it's pretty much only usable for small adults or boosters kids.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I would try a Radian and two Keyfits for now. Worry about what convertibles will fit later - who knows what will be on the market in a year? But I think there's a good chance you can put your Boulevard back into service later with one of the twins.

Hopefully your twins won't have the car sickness issue and will be better passengers for you. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC