expecting another and not sure about seats

U

Unregistered

DS will be 2 on 2/27/14. He is about 36” tall and weighs 31 pounds. He is RF center position in a Britax Boulevard 70CS in my 2000 Chevy Impala (no LATCH in the bench, has top tethers) and FF center position in Eddie Bauer Enspira in DH’s 2001 Buick Regal (has LATCH). We are expecting a baby in August. I remember the car seat tech telling me that she would only install the Britax where it is since the seat had lock-offs for RF and also something to do with the way the seatbelts retracted (I’m not exactly sure what she said).We also have an Evenflo Discovery infant seat we thought we might use for the baby outboard behind the driver’s seat in the Impala. I’ve been looking at DS’s head and it is getting close to the top (maybe about an inch away) of the Britax’s shell so am thinking about making it FF soon as the instructions say that the top of the child’s head should be no closer than an inch from the top of the shell. It is starting to become difficult to get DS’s arms in and out from the Britax straps as it is becoming a tight fit. We also prefer USA made seats that we can use for a long time. So, my questions:

-Since the Britax does not have lock-offs for FF will I not be able to use it FF in the Impala?
-If I can’t use the Britax FF in the Impala I think maybe we could use that for the baby in the Regal. Would that puzzle well with the Eddie Bauer? Any suggestions for what would work well then in the Impala for DS with the Discovery beside it?
-If the Discovery for some reason is out what do you think would work well (convertible or all-in-one) outboard RF with the Britax FF in the center of the Impala?
-Then if the Britax and Discovery are out for the Impala any recs for two seats that puzzle well in the Impala?
-Should I just plan on passing down the Britax anyway since the straps are starting to get tight?

My head is spinning and yours might be as well after reading this. Thanks for reading and any suggestions!

ADS

aeormsby

1st - there's no reason that 'only a Britax seat with lockoffs' should be used if you can't use Latch to install a seat. Even in vehicles that have Latch they aren't in all locations, seatbelt sometimes works better, and Latch has a weight limit so the seatbelt will need to be used eventually anyway. Seatbelts lock for installing carseats, I believe your Impala should have a switchable retractor (if you pull the shoulder belt out all the way the it will lock as you let it go back in). If you only have a lap belt in the center then you just pull it tight and it should stay (sometimes you need to watch if the buckle is close to the belt path on the seat to make sure it's at the correct angle to keep the seatbelt locked).

If your 2yo is really 1" from the top of the seat you will need to switch it FF or get another seat if you want to keep RF longer. This will help show you the correct way to measure: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=278124&postcount=1

Hopefully someone else with more knowledge about the Discovery can let you know if there would be anything that makes it difficult to use in your vehicle. Is it the same seat you used for your 2yo? (there are a couple of infant seats that have some odd space requirements, I can't remember if the Discovery is one or not).

U

Unregistered

Thank you! The tech was pretty reluctant to install the Britax 2 years ago. Her main issue was the seatbelts. All of the belts in the back seat are shoulder type. She pulled on all of them and shook her head. She asked me if the Britax came with a metal clip. It did not. I remember thinking that there must be a way to install this seat and told her about the lock-offs. She told me that she didn't see many Britax seats. Perhaps I should go to another tech this time.

Yes, we used the Discovery in the Regal center position. I'm not so sure now that was the best as it touched the backs of the front seats and we weren't able to put the handle down all the way. DH is 6'2" and installed that seat. I'm 5'2" and am thinking we'll have more room for it in my car.

Kegracin

Thank you! The tech was pretty reluctant to install the Britax 2 years ago. Her main issue was the seatbelts. All of the belts in the back seat are shoulder type. She pulled on all of them and shook her head. She asked me if the Britax came with a metal clip. It did not. I remember thinking that there must be a way to install this seat and told her about the lock-offs. She told me that she didn't see many Britax seats. Perhaps I should go to another tech this time.

The seat belts that do not lock by pulling out all the way lock at the latch plate http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm if I remember right you have the ones the article calls light weight locking clips.

Which britax seat do you have? perhaps we can find you a video showing you how to use your lock off on the seat (given you don't have a Roundabout 50 which doesn't have lock offs) I missed that you have a BLVD 70 the video instructions are here [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6V_kscSxKE"]BRITAX Convertible Car Seats: Forward Facing Installation using Lap/Shoulder Belt and One Lock-off - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

1mommy

wavegal

It does sounds like you need a new Tech especially because a Boulevard70 does indeed have forward facing lock offs and if she had read the manual she would know that.

Every Evenflo infant seat I know of has a handle down and 1.5in space rule when installed in the car so it sounds like your seat doesn't fit your car so it does sounds like you need a new infant seat

U

Unregistered

Thank you so much! I did find a tech on the list in my county. What would be the best way to contact her? It listed her username.

I feel much better about the possibility of installing the Britax FF on the Impala and the choice not to use the Discovery in the Regal again but try in the Impala this time. Looks like maybe we will be needing only one new seat at first for the baby in the Regal! DH will be very happy. The install video is awesome. Thanks for finding that!

wavegal

You can try looking on here to see if they have another method of contact, if not maybe giving us who is close to you we can message them and direct them to this thread

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC