ERF seat for arthritic hands

opaque1997

Ok - I'm in constant search for my picky husband ;)

We currently have a cco and he LOVES it - he pops her in - snap, snap and Pull and he's done - he has no issues with the buckle (Oh I wonder if its because of the push down instead of in motion.. humm) nor the chest clip - and his big thing is he likes to loosen the straps all the way to get her out and tighten them when he puts her in - the harness tighten / loosen is super easy for him.

I do all the install and strap height adjustments so we don't need to worry about that.

The other "glitch" is that he drives a 2013 Subaru wRX and he's tall - so in the next year we'll need two sits rear facing in the passenger / center seat positions (new baby will be in teh CCO) My long term "goal" for rear facing my daughter is 4. If we don't make it to four in his car it wouldn't be end of the world - MOST of the time she's in my car - he currently takes her to daycare (>5 miles) during the week but we are hoping to have a no situation and he wouldn't be driving her at all.

All that said - I had a Radian for him - he HATES it.. I mean hates it - the rachet tightening - the buckle - he has a horrible time with it. I bought a headwise on the target deal and the one try with the chest clip and he said no.

He wants to keep the CCO and turn her (she's only 16 months - we got about an inch before she out grows it and I'm not worried about her hitting the weight)

ADS

Persimmon

My condolences :p. I had similar issues with my DH. Hated the Radian, hated the True Fit Premier, hated the Headwise chest clip (I do too though). The only car seats my DH likes are the Britax convertibles and the Foonf. DS is 50% by height and weight. He has a taller seated height than other 50%s due to his giant head so will outgrow seats by height sooner. He got to right around his 3rd birthday in his Boulevard 70 before he outgrew it by height. I am thinking a Britax because your DH is tall and the WRX is not big and the Britax's are good for not taking up a lot of front to back room. They have an easy harness pull and the chest clip is not like the Graco's.

I know that doesn't get your DD to 4 RF but if the alternative is turning at 16 months....especially in a secondary vehicle.

ETA: There is also something to help release the buckle called a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Buckle-Bopper-Seat-Belt-Aid/dp/B00A4PL7VM"]buckle bopper[/ame]. If your DH is like my DH, he would have zero patience for something like that though.

opaque1997

Yes - my thinking RIGHT this minute is to do britax until the next baby (VERY early pregnant right now) is ready to move out of the CCO and at that point HOPEFULLY my daughter (should be 2 / 3) can help with the carseat herself and we can move to the radain and put the new baby in the britax. yes it means 3 seats when I should have 2 - but with 2 kids maybe thats ok..

Is there a reason the classic or new marathon would be better worse over the boulevard?

(I cannot see shelling out for the foonf in our situation!! :) )

ebp913

Your husband sounds like mine. If it isn't easy to use, he is not happy. I really like the Peg convertible for ease of use. The chest clip is easy and the harness is too. We have a Peg and a Coccoro and those are his favorite. I also hear that the Foonf is easy too but I haven't had one yet.

The Peg is nice because it's pretty small front to back too.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
For height rear facing, the Peg convertible will last at least as long as a Britax G3/G4 seat and possibly longer if you gain the magic room that people are seeming to gain as their child is older/heavier. Weight wise, it's rated to 45# for rear facing.

And yes the Peg harness is easy to use, I find it's slightly easier than a Britax seat which I also find easy. I find the chest clip easy as well. But I don't have experience with arthritis so you'd probably want him to try it first.

Is the WRX interior the same size as the Impreza? If so, you might have a tough time fitting two rear facing seats side by side without a Radian in the mix.

henrietta

I have an autoimmune disease that causes arthritis and my hands are my worst...

Britax has been pretty easy for me, compared to the current Graco and Evenflo buckles. I have an Evenflo seat that I love, but I really dislike the buckles. We also do have and use a Cocorro, so I can definitely compare the two!

So, I'd skip Graco & Evenflo.

I have to say that I like the newest Safety First seat, and the Maxi Cosi Pria buckles are probably very similar (technically the same parent company). I don't know how long it lasts or well it installs, but I liked it in the store. Since you are talking about a secondary vehicle in which you want him to keep her rearfacing and buckled properly, I'd go for a seat that works for him, even if she only makes it to 2.5 or 3 rearfacing in it.;)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
NextFit is another one you might consider. Install & recline are a breeze. Chest clip is not difficult. I can't say I've truly paid attention to the buckle, which tells me it's not hard, because I DO find the Radian buckles and *especially* those nasty Graco things hard. (Which is unfortunate, because I adored the old Graco buckles, they were amazing!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC