Double Parked Vehicle Collision

brightredmtn

My parked car was the victim of a hit-and-run... by a parked motorcycle lol. What happened was my car was parked next to an illegally parked motorcycle. Likely another car hit the motorcycle which made it fall into my car. Car that caused the collision left the scene, I wasn't there, I suppose it could have been knocked over by a person but doubtful as the motorcycle was close to a turn in the parking garage. My car has some dents and scratches. The Oobr and Graco CC 40 were both installed. Do they need to be replaced? I'm going to try and go after the motorcycle owner since this wouldn't have happened had it not been illegally parked. I spoke with security from the garage (he actually found the incident and had already righted the motorcycle by the time I returned) and there were no cameras to have caught the hit-and-run car.

Last edited:
ADS

1mommy

Personally I wouldn't label that a collision as crash forces between two moving vehicles are much higher then a motorcycle falling in your car, but just to be safe I would email Graco and Clek and ask for their opinions.

brightredmtn

Personally I wouldn't label that a collision as crash forces between two moving vehicles are much higher then a motorcycle falling in your car, but just to be safe I would email Graco and Clek and ask for their opinions.

I tend to agree with you but there was some damage to my car which is why I have the concern. Thanks for your thought on the matter!

jacqui276

Do you have the info from the motorcycle? I would go after them in terms of damage to your vehicle (them being illegally parked will help you out). It would depend upon how much damage there is to your car for what my comfort level would be with replacing the seats, but maybe they have insurance that would cover the cost if the companies are recommending a replacement.

brightredmtn

Do you have the info from the motorcycle? I would go after them in terms of damage to your vehicle (them being illegally parked will help you out). It would depend upon how much damage there is to your car for what my comfort level would be with replacing the seats, but maybe they have insurance that would cover the cost if the companies are recommending a replacement.

It's my plan to go after the motorcycle since it was illegally parked. There's definitely enough damage that it's noticeable. A fairly deep dent and multiple scratches. This is what I could see in the dark last night. I need to check it out in the daylight today.

Keeanh

Personally, I wouldn't call that a "crash". But if you have e-mails from the companies recommending replacement, you might as well go after the motorcycle's insurance and see what you get.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's my plan to go after the motorcycle since it was illegally parked. There's definitely enough damage that it's noticeable. A fairly deep dent and multiple scratches. This is what I could see in the dark last night. I need to check it out in the daylight today.

It's hard to say to go against manufacturer's instructions, but a motorcycle falling against the side of a car is hardly a crash, right? It's too bad there isn't video of it happening to be absolutely sure. It probably only made a loud sound and if you were in the car, that's the only sense you would have used.

My first new car was less than a month old when someone opened a car door into it in a parking lot and it left a huge dent in the back panel. Sometimes it doesn't take much to leave a lot of damage to a vehicle.

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
FWIW when I filed my insurance claim yesterday the rep specifically asked if I had any car seats in the car. Maybe you'll have the same luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

brightredmtn

Both Clek and Graco say I need to replace the seats. Fortunately no issue for the reimbursement with USAA. USAA won't put the motorcycle at fault for parking in an unauthorized spot so it's going against my hit-and-run policy :(.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC