Double for New Baby and Tall Toddler

elyrayday

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice on these strollers. I have been a bit distracted again after thinking the city mini was the one, especially at $299. It is so appealing in that I know it gets great ratings and selling used we would probably not even lose much money on it.

At the same time, we currently use our single stroller sometimes just to NOT have to carry the diaper bag, jackets, camera, etc. I am concerned about the lack of storage for this stuff and the poor access to the basket. How can such a top rated stroller have such poor storage capacity? Especially with 2 kids I am concerned this will drive me nuts.

Also, our son loves to snack as he rides around town, and for the city mini this means still purchasing a bumper bar and snack trays which is kind of annoying. Otherwise there is no where for him to even store a bag of animal crackers.

So then I remembered the Joovy Scooter X2 that I had looked into a while back when we were first TTC. It has a huge basket, comes with the bumper bar, and even has pockets inside the seats for little ones toys and snacks.

The Joovy is not THAT much cheaper all things considered (about $195). Would it be nuts to pass on the chance to grab the city mini on sale for this "second rate" stroller? I would love any insight.

Thanks!

ADS

Mercuria

I'm not sure if you've seen this before, but this is the longest I've ever seen her spend talking about a negative:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmlhvfhEgZE"]Baby Gizmo Joovy Scooter x2 Video Review - YouTube[/ame]

Additionally, I've seen multiple complaints about it hitting a spot on the sidewalk where the squares aren't perfectly even, and stopping dead. Reviews also compare the push unfavorably to the City Mini, and I'm not even crazy about to push on the City Mini to begin with.

That said, there are plenty of positive reviews for it, so you may still love it. I'd make sure to try it out first or buy from a place with a good return policy if you're going to go for it.

elyrayday

Thanks. Yes, I had seen that video. I was thinking of just choosing black since her complaints were a lot about dirt stains. Not a worry if it's black. And it is a 1 handed fold versus the two for the city mini, which could be it's own benefit in sticky situations...

But I really do see the appeal of the city mini. After rewatching the review you posted I watched a city mini review as well and I really like nearly everything about it. It's just that darn basket. How do people do it? And it's also annoying that there is nowhere to stick toys/food for the little one. Basically the sale of $300 is the only thing that is putting this one in consideration at all...top of the budget...so the accessories are not going to happen for us most likely.

This is tough!!

ebp913

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice on these strollers. I have been a bit distracted again after thinking the city mini was the one, especially at $299. It is so appealing in that I know it gets great ratings and selling used we would probably not even lose much money on it.

At the same time, we currently use our single stroller sometimes just to NOT have to carry the diaper bag, jackets, camera, etc. I am concerned about the lack of storage for this stuff and the poor access to the basket. How can such a top rated stroller have such poor storage capacity? Especially with 2 kids I am concerned this will drive me nuts.

Also, our son loves to snack as he rides around town, and for the city mini this means still purchasing a bumper bar and snack trays which is kind of annoying. Otherwise there is no where for him to even store a bag of animal crackers.

So then I remembered the Joovy Scooter X2 that I had looked into a while back when we were first TTC. It has a huge basket, comes with the bumper bar, and even has pockets inside the seats for little ones toys and snacks.

The Joovy is not THAT much cheaper all things considered (about $195). Would it be nuts to pass on the chance to grab the city mini on sale for this "second rate" stroller? I would love any insight.

Thanks!

For me personally the basket is huge! I store all my stuff and baby stuff in there and use it in leiu of a cart at the grocery store. We also travel a bit and I just can't deal with no usable basket. For that reason alone, I am basically anti City Mini for myself. I wouldn't get it just for the price because it sounds like you will be annoyed with it.

The Joovy would be fine but if you can spend a bit more I think you could get more for your money. Bumbleride is on Zulily for 2 more days and you can get an Indie Twin for $450. Also maybe consider the Valco Snap Dual or Zee Two... they are around the same price. I bet you could sell either the Valco or Bumbleride for at least 50% of what you paid in a couple years when you don't need the double anymore. The Zee Two and Indie Twin can also take the Keyfit!

elyrayday

So I just called both companies because I wanted to know about the recline angle for each. The babygizmo reviews made it seem like the city mini was from birth bit joovy scooter x2 was 6 months. This is not completely correct, although...the city mini is birth and joovy scooter x2 says 3 months. The seat recline angles are somewhat different which I guess accounts for this age difference.

City mini double recline angle is 156 degrees
Joovy Scooter X2 recline angle is 149 degrees

These are with 180 degrees being completely flat.

Just thought I would post this info in case anyone is curious down the road.

Thanks!

elyrayday

Hi,

So we are swinging back in the direction of the city mini double since it supposedly has 2" more clearance to top of the canopy...plus the newborn thing I mentioned. But here is my question - do you think our 2 year old will fit in the city mini this summer/fall if his butt to head (when sitting) is already 22 inches? I measured him this morning and was a bit shocked how he is technically already higher than BOTH seatbacks (joovy and city mini are 20").

I hate to think of him not having a place to sit given his young age when the baby comes...

romanoma

Yes he will fit. The bjcmd canopy arches upward creating a taller seat than just the seat back would give. He will have room under the canopy for his head no problem.

elyrayday

Yes he will fit. The bjcmd canopy arches upward creating a taller seat than just the seat back would give. He will have room under the canopy for his head no problem.

Thanks. Will he basically fit only in an upright position with the canopy open? Would he be able to recline as well or is he too tall to fit reclined?

Kegracin

Thanks. Will he basically fit only in an upright position with the canopy open? Would he be able to recline as well or is he too tall to fit reclined?

I have a single but I think the backs are the same I will try to get you a picture tommorow of one my LOs who are 23in from head to bum. I also have an elite single I know they fit reclined in that but I believe its a little taller.

Kegracin

Here are some of my 3yr old she's the same size as my 4yr old, both are about 23inches from head to bum . If you want any other angles let me know I just took some fast ones but I can take others this afternoon...Also when we are really using the stroller shes buckled in to it.
ForumRunner_20130128_084235.png Reclined all the way pretending to be sleeping.

ForumRunner_20130128_084300.png Seat upright (sorry her feet aren't on the foot rest but they do fit she was just being silly.)

ForumRunner_20130128_084342.png Canopy partly closed.

elyrayday

Hi,

Thank you for those photos! They are really helpful. It's good to see that your daughter still fits comfortably (she is adorable by the way). Do you feel like she still has room to grow too? I think my little man must be a lot of torso and not so much legs (he is 3 feet total, and his legs don't look long like hers). Hopefully he will start growing his legs more than his torso over the next couple of years to even things himself out a bit and make this stroller last longer. :p

What year is your city mini? Is that recline all the way? It might just be the angle, but it looks more vertical than I thought the 2011+ recline. Of course, kids their ages probably don't need to be flat to sleep anyway, so it probably doesn't matter much.

Thanks so much for helping me out with your post. I really appreciate it. I think we should go ahead with this purchase. I am just nervous to pull the trigger on a $300 purchase (a LOT for us to spend), especially since it is so soon before the baby (due early August). If we miss it at this price, we won't be getting one at all though....so I guess I should go for it?

Kegracin

Its a 2011 its not flat but pretty close and when she sleeps in it I normally have it more at 45 degrees like a RF car-seat...I feel like it pushes better that way because shes heavy....it pushes fine with a lighter child in it flat I've used it with my nephew. I also think your son's legs will start to grow or at least that's what happened with my DS1 and DD. She has some room in it and still thinks its comfortable...thank goodness because shes a runner :thumbsdown:. I know in my area you would for sure be able to get your money back out of it when you went to resell it. I know I would because I've been threw so many strollers I should have just got what I wanted from the start.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC