Do the Diono Radians *really* have a smooth(er) adjuster?

cookie123

Very interesting indeed! I hated the harness adjuster on the Radian and gave up adjusting it when Matthew could buckle himself in. At some point it just doesn't tighten enough to make it snug. I think I remember it not being an issue when he was smaller.

Well now that I love Sure Latch, maybe my next convertible seat will be an Evenflo.:)

ADS

Little Ps Mama

Meg said:
I'm feeling the same way reading this thread! Lol. I have two 80SLs(DOMs in '10 and '11) and I hate the adjusters. I've always preferred to loosen and tighten the harness each time the kids gets into their seats, but I rarely do with the RNs since they are such a pain in the butt. I find tightening the seat when it's FF to be more annoying than when it's RF.

Just to be clear, when I tighten the harness it's a yank-yank-yank motion and the harness only tightens an inch or two at a time. Every other seat(Britax, Graco, Cosco, Safety First) I own, I can just pull the harness adjuster strap and the harness smoothly tightens in one fluid motion. I was thinking of getting a new RN because of the so-called smooth adjuster, but I definitely won't if the adjuster is just like the old seats!

I have a new rxt and that's how I have to tighten the harness too. Very bizarre to me at first as none of my other seats work that way either!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Mags462

I have a 65SL and put me in the "its VERY difficult to adjust" camp.... and people complain about the TF :confused: Huh this thing is ridiculous :rolleyes:

And thanks for clarifying that the Diono's arent any better... ill just steer clear! :D

Meg

I have a new rxt and that's how I have to tighten the harness too. Very bizarre to me at first as none of my other seats work that way either!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

I think we need someone to take a video who has one of these smooth adjusters.;) I can't fathom why some of us would have old or new seats that require yank-yank-yank and others have new or old seats that are completely different! That's just weird.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Ok, I had 3 radians in the back seat today. With kids even! The R65 was a regular tug, release. I then tried the XTSL, tug release. Then the RXT, still tug release. So, I tried again. I usually pull UP to tighten. I tried pulling down towards the floor on the RXT. That was slightly better, but stopped before it was tight enough. I had to do a little ratcheting at the end.

NannyMom

I'm feeling the same way reading this thread! Lol. I have two 80SLs(DOMs in '10 and '11) and I hate the adjusters. I've always preferred to loosen and tighten the harness each time the kids gets into their seats, but I rarely do with the RNs since they are such a pain in the butt. I find tightening the seat when it's FF to be more annoying than when it's RF.

Just to be clear, when I tighten the harness it's a yank-yank-yank motion and the harness only tightens an inch or two at a time. Every other seat(Britax, Graco, Cosco, Safety First) I own, I can just pull the harness adjuster strap and the harness smoothly tightens in one fluid motion. I was thinking of getting a new RN because of the so-called smooth adjuster, but I definitely won't if the adjuster is just like the old seats!

Mt XT and XTSLs were all the tug-tug-tug-tug. My RXT is 1 smooth pull. I'm hoping when my 2nd RXT comes it will be smooth too. But The Radian works best FF in DH's car for legroom, and DH would never be able to deal with the tug-tug-tug-tug.

Little Ps Mama

I think we need someone to take a video who has one of these smooth adjusters.;) I can't fathom why some of us would have old or new seats that require yank-yank-yank and others have new or old seats that are completely different! That's just weird.

:yeahthatlove:

It doesn't bother me too much as I tend to not loosen the harness anyway when taking my kids in and out of their seats. DH does loosen and tighten each time but he knows better than to complain about my car seats around me. :D Plus, I've been used to tightening our MRs by pulling the slack out from the back of the seat and then taking it up with the adjuster strap for the past 2 and a half years so I'm obviously not easily inconvenienced. ;)

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I don't know why, but the smoothness of the harness adjusters is a big deal to me when looking for a seat. I think I'll keep Rocket in the RA55 until outgrown, and then decide from there. I'm totally coveting some of the awesome color choices of the Diono seats, though.

Malka

Since there's obviously a discrepancy between different seats of the same model, does anyone think there might be an issue? Think it might be worth asking Diono about it?

Starlight

Senior Community Member
After all of the other discussions we've had with Russ and now Allana, I hardly see the point in asking...

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I feel like SK/Diono are less than helpful when asking questions about possible issues with their seats. Am I the only one who feels like they leave you with more questions than you had to begin with?

At this point, I have absolutely no radian love. Ill revisit when Rocket outgrows the seats we have.

teekadog

I feel like SK/Diono are less than helpful when asking questions about possible issues with their seats. Am I the only one who feels like they leave you with more questions than you had to begin with?

:yeahthatlove: I am so glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.
:yeahthatmad: I am so angry about all the times I've had that experience with their customer service.
:yeahthatsad: I have this seat until 2018 and must try to remain positive about it...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC