Dilemma - which car and seat?

eduller

So I have a dilemma.

My daughter is cared for by an uncle 3 days per week, and I drop her off at his house. There are no parks or playgrounds within walking distance there. This hasn't been a problem for the winter, but the weather is turning so she can now go outside. I had hoped he would be willing to change things up and come to my house for the nicer weather (we have a park 1 block away), but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

This uncle doesn't have a car, so I leave my spare car with him to use. It's a 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass. But this being an older car, it doesn't have the safety features of modern cars.

So wwyd: switch cars each time I drop her off so that I can leave my van for him to drive her in? There are 3 nice parks literally within 1.5 miles of his house. And I drive about 8 miles on the freeway from there to work. I think the chances of them getting in an accident during the short, mostly side street, drive to the park are much less than my chances of getting in an accident driving 16 miles a day on the freeway. I'm certainly not putting my safety over my daughter's, but I'm trying to be practical.

If I leave the olds there and put a new car seat in it, should I go for a seat that has good side impact protection since the car doesn't have airbags? I have a Headwise that I just bought, but I haven't opened the box yet. My daughter is large for her age, which influences the seat choice. She's 39.5 inches and 33 pounds, size 4T shirt and she's 2 years 3 months. I'm not overly concerned about the seat lasting her forever RF because she will eventually go to preschool so she really only needs to fit RF for another year.

ADS

mommyfrog

She will be well protected rear facing. Rear facing ads safety in all crashes but mostly in side impacts. I'd put the Headwise in the Oldsmobile, let uncle drive it, and feel great about it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC