Question Difference between booster and convertible

Carolyn

My 4 year old (42", 40 lbs) needs a new seat, and I'm trying to figure out if I should get a convertible or a booster. Is there a difference with safety, so it's better to stick it out in a convertible for another year or so, or is it ok to go with the booster now? Thank you!

ADS

Carolyn

In looking around this site, the boosters I am considering are the Britax Frontier 85/Frontier85 SICT and the Radian RXT (which I think is really a convertible seat that can be used FF'ing longer?). I was also think of the Recaro ProSport, but my husband is worried that they wouldn't have worked out the kinks yet since they just started making the child seats. Any help would be appreciated! This is all to go in a 2011 Sienna.

MommyShannon

What you are looking at are normally called Combination seats. They are FF harnessed then become belt positioning boosters. The radian is a convertible that lasts about as long. We really like our Frontier 85 for a combo seat. It has the tallest harness available. The nautilus is also a popular choice.
ETA: most 4 year olds are not ready to be out of a harness so you are looking at the right seats.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
You have several choices. You want a combination seat. Ff only then turns into a booster. Not a convertible which rf and then ff.

Evenflo maestro - $80 - harnesses to 50#- top slots 18" - doesn't last long as a booster, but cheap enough to buy a booster in a few years

Evenflo SecureKid 300/400- $120 - based on the maestro, but the back goes up so it lasts longer as a booster- harnesses to 65# and top slots 18"

Graco Nautilus - $140 - harnesses to 65# - top slots 18" - turns into highback and low back booster- the harness and highback good for 6y- lowback good fr 9y

Britax Frontier85 - $220- harnesses to 85# - top slots 20" - tallest harness on the market - tallest booster on the market - makes into a highback booster - good for 9y in any mode

There is also the recaro prosport, but I don't know as much about it. It harnesses to 90#, but is a shorter harness then the frontier so won't harness as long as the frontier unless you have a short torsoed chunky kiddo.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I won't get a radian for a kid you are not rf. The booster mode of the radians won't last as long as any of the others I listed above. Because it doesn't adjust up like the securekid, nautilus or frontier. The radians have tall slots, but you are paying over $200 for a ff harness then you will need a booster later.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC