Deep sides = more protection?

Hazelandlucy

Do seats like the Radian and Foonf offer less SIP than the Britax or some of the higher sided ones? I love the ease of use, but I keep wondering if it leaves the body less protected if hit from the side.

Went and sat her in every single carseat available (I think!) except the Foonf. She is 28 inches so all the seats had plenty of room - is there anything I should look for or keep in mind that I am not thinking of as far as how she looks in them? I took pictures of her in most of them if that would help!

Thank you! I have learned so much on this forum and couldn't believe how bad the sales help is. Was told I could rear face until 49 inches, with head rests on the highest position, and that Britax and Graco passed "harder" tests (just checking - they didn't, right?)

The seats headwings - are they safer than no headwings like on the True fit? They do seem like they would help.

ADS

Ninetales

There aren't any standards for testing SIP, so at this point we just don't know. Any seat properly used will keep a child very safe, especially rear facing. Headwings and deep sides are all personal preference and speculation on our end right now.

There are no differing tests as far as federal standards go. The testing that is federally mandated is pass/fail. Carseat manufacturers may also do their own tests that may be stricter but they aren't required to release their test results or methods so it's just their word.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I was watching crash test videos on youtube (posted by ikea55) and *I* want headwings (like, for ME, lol) :eek:
Statistically, though, even seats that are terribly shallow still do an awesome job preventing injuries of all types. Tight installations and harnesses and top tethering hold everything in place really well. And cars with good side impact crash test ratings and curtain airbags do an even better job protecting even little riders.

jjordan

Do seats like the Radian and Foonf offer less SIP than the Britax or some of the higher sided ones? I love the ease of use, but I keep wondering if it leaves the body less protected if hit from the side.

Went and sat her in every single carseat available (I think!) except the Foonf. She is 28 inches so all the seats had plenty of room - is there anything I should look for or keep in mind that I am not thinking of as far as how she looks in them? I took pictures of her in most of them if that would help!

Thank you! I have learned so much on this forum and couldn't believe how bad the sales help is. Was told I could rear face until 49 inches, with head rests on the highest position, and that Britax and Graco passed "harder" tests (just checking - they didn't, right?)

The seats headwings - are they safer than no headwings like on the True fit? They do seem like they would help.

To the bolded - you might have surmised this from the previous responses, but just in case - the answer to your question is a big old "we don't know." Lots of companies will say that their seats passed certain tests that the companies themselves devised. I don't doubt that this is true. However, since the extra tests are company-specific, we don't really know if Britax seats would pass Graco testing or vice versa (and you can fill in your own manufacturer in place of either Britax or Graco). We also don't know how those "extra" tests compare to each other - if some tests are "harder" than others, if passing certain tests translates into better protection in a crash, etc. One benefit to national crash test standards is that you have one baseline performance level that you can count on. Beyond that, if a certain manufacturer's claims make you feel warm and fuzzy and convince you that their seat just *might* be worth the extra $40 just in case they're right and your kid will be safer, then go for it. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC