Decisions on Radian or other options??

rmp74006

1st, to those of you w/experience, training, & info, many thanks for the helpful advice & insight given to those of us who need it.

Here's our situation, & I could use some collective wisdom w/thinking this through:

Car setup: 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2010 Honda Accord LX

Our son just turned 3 (32.5 lbs, 37 in). We have him RF in a Boulevard 70. Although we have a little time, he is getting close to the 1" limit at top of shell, so a change in seating is needed soon.

This happens to coincide well with needing to move our daughter (1y, 22 lbs, ?in) from her Chicco Keyfit to a RF Convertible, likely her brother's Boulevard. This needs to happen soon (she is a taller girl, like 90th percentile).

What to do, what to do... My inclination & preference is to RF as long as possible (up to 4 if he stays average), but this entails finding a taller convertible. I am seriously considering buying two Radian RXT (prefer this over True Fit for weight, etc.). One RXT for the Odyssey (son's seat), and one for the Accord (for either kid, as we only need one carseat in the sedan since both can RF in it, for now anyway).

However, I am wondering about the Superlatch issues & compatability with RF in both our Odyssey & Accord. Did Diono resolve this issue? Haven't really figured out what the latest news is on this.

If I do have latch issues, can I use the seatbelt on the Radian for a good, tight fit RF in either car? Anyone have experience with this?

Also, though I'd rather not do it this early, I could go ahead and FF our son into a Frontier & not worry about the Radian, at least right now anyway. I would just get another Frontier for the Accord for him, and sis would use a new RF Boulevard in the Accord.

I am a careful dad, trying to make the wisest & safest purchase. Help me out if there are some other options that I'm missing.

Thanks!!!

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome to c-s.org! So glad to see you have your 3 yr old still rear-facing!

Kecia's blog on the '11 Ody should interest you: http://carseatblog.com/8090/2011-ho...ids-carseats-review-with-tons-of-pics-videos/ . The upcoming Clek Foonf is also a tall rear-facing seat, though it may be the end of summer or fall before it's out.

I did a search for a '10 Accord and didn't find anything quickly, but it looks like the Radian fits outboard in both the '09 and '11 models. At some point recently, Honda did update the design of the Accord, but I don't know which model year specifically.

Sunshine Kids/Diono fixed the SuperLATCH issue last year sometime--they added a clip to the LATCH adjuster to keep it tightened. Sometimes the Radian installs better with LATCH than it does with a seatbelt, but you'll have to try it to see for sure. As long as it moves less than 1" at the belt path when you tug, using the seatbelt is fine.

Brianna

I don't have much to add, so :yeahthat: and if you don't live near a store that carries the Radian, order from a site with free returns in case you find it doesn't install well.

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

gigi

I would get a peg convertible for the secondary car. The Radian straps are difficult to adjust between kids and for RFers with that big of an age difference, you'd want the straps on different slots. The Peg has only a slightly shorter back (I think 1/2"), the harness height adjusts easily, and it has a 45lb RF weight limit. It is out now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC